In conjunction with the Merdeka Day and Malaysia Day, Dorsett Regency Kuala Lumpur will be showcasing a collection of prized gourmets by their ‘Master & Mizzy Chef’. During this period, as Malaysians celebrate its 57th Merdeka Day, it also marks the celebration of good food by young and aspiring Chefs who are of varied race, culture and backgrounds. Love for eats, passion for culinary art and desire for excellent achievements are one of the few attributes that these chefs instil within them. Nevertheless, they shine beyond medals and international recognitions; together as Malaysians they have grown and mature in the love for food and their striving spirit to be remarkable chefs in their own specialties.
Walk down this victory lane with these rising chefs. Each of the winning dishes that will be served at the buffet table will reveal a successful story behind it all and you will have to taste it to know it.
Under the wings of Yau Kok Kheong, Executive Chef, whom has earned himself international recognition and been invited as a judge to many culinary competitions worldwide, his gourmet team are drilled to perfection at all times. Hence, they are constantly exposed to vast culinary experience through participation in competition.
According to Yau, “To be good at what you are doing, you have to have passion and a striving spirit. And to be a great chef, you have to constantly push yourself to deliver quality food, to be creative, to be able to accept criticism and always sharpen your culinary skills.
It is also important that we are a team player because no one can work alone and like a musical orchestra, our role in the kitchen complements each other.
Nevertheless, my culinary team is made of different and very unique individuals. Regardless of their background, race and culture, when they come into the kitchen, they are recognised as chefs or cooks and they are expected to deliver nothing but quality food to our guests. Hence, I am proud to say that as a Malaysian, we are able to cook with one pot and serve from the same kitchen,” Yau concluded.
From August 31st right through the month of September, Dorsett Regency Kuala Lumpur will be celebrating Merdeka Day and Malaysia Day by promoting peace, harmony and unity. They are also inviting people from all walks of life to celebrate this significant moment by delighting in their winning gourmets, which have showcased the local talents to the international culinary arena.
The winning dishes that will be served are Poon’s Beef Noodle by Poon Zhi Zheng, Commis 1, who has won Certificate of Merit Taiwan, Baba & Nyonya Cuisine by Mohd Faizal Abd Wahid, Junior Sous Chef, who won the Bronze medal for Culinaire Malaysia, Mohd Sabri Norizan, Junior Sous Chef, who won a Diploma at Culinaire Malaysia for his Organic Citrus Semi-Fredo with heart-melting Varhana chocolate dip, Norhakim Halkin, Commis 1, who bagged two Bronze medals at Culinaire Malaysia for his Duo Duck Combo and Slow Cooked Lamb with Pearl Barley; and Gerad Jerome, Chef de Partie who won the Silver medal for his Cream Cheese Crabmeat Ravioli.
Below are more of the winning menus of the culinary team of Dorsett Regency Kuala Lumpur for you to savour:
Poon Zhi Zheng – Commis 1
1. Pimento Norwegian Salmon – An amazingly sweet and mild spicy pimento sauce poured onto a perfectly cooked Norwegian salmon
2. Poon Beef Noodle – Rich beef stock on a silky Ramen served with beef tendon, meat and crispy meatball.
Chef Faizal Wahid – Jr. Sous Chef
1. Jiu Hu Char – Fried shredded dried cuttlefish braised with Yam bean and carrot
2. Ayam Buah Keluak – A distinctive peranakan dish of chicken with buah keluak which has a rich taste of sweetness, spiciness and sour
3. Itik Tim – Famous duck soup with salted vegetable
4. Ayam Pongteh – Nyonya Chicken and Potato stew cooked with preserved soy-bean and black mushroom flavored with taucheo (fermented soy bean sauce) and gula Melaka (palm sugar)
5. Otak Otak Daun Kaduk – Nyonya fish custard wrapped in daun kaduk (wild betel leave)
6. Nyonya pie tee – Top hat with vegetable and seafood stuffing
7. Bubur Cha Cha – One of the more well-known Nyonya’s desserts
1. Cream Cheese Crabmeat Ravioli – Hand made ravioli with cream cheese and crabmeat served with lemony sauce with sun-dried tomato
2. Salmon Buerre Monte and Eggplant Caviar – A super juicy flaky salmon finish by poached in butter of 70C, and our chef do it best.
Norhakim Halkin – Commis 1
1. Duo Ducks Combo – a combination of rolled duck balantine and sous vide suck breast on an orange Balsamic glaze
2. Slow Cooked Lamb with Pearl Barley
Chef Sabri – Jr. Sous Chef (Pastry)
1. Organic Citrus Semi-Fredo – with Varhana Chocolate dip
2. Ginger and Sea salt Caramel Panna Cotta – with Smoked Mango Mirror
3. La Venus – Sampler of 58% chocolate mousse vanilla and wild berries bon-bon blood orange infusion.
Chef Badrol Hisham – Sous Chef
1. Master of Pastry Show pieces
For more information or reservation of the ‘Winning Gourmets by the Master & Mizzy Chefs’ at Checkers Café, Dorsett Regency Kuala Lumpur, you may contact 03 271 6 1000.