I am damn a fan for this dish and only can me found at most Malay restaurant here in Kuala Lumpur. This vegetable dish tapioca shoots/leaves has a very nice soft and yet crisp biting texture and fragrant with lots of coconut milk aroma and not forgetting the most important a dashing smart fresh turmeric and bird eye chilies.
The tapioca leaves can be easy handle when plucking the leaves even it has a white gummy liquid ozzing out. Just wipe it away with a damp cloth. Pick the leaves and shoots, set them aside for poaching on hot boiling water.
500gm Tapioca shoots/leaves
500ml Coconut Milk
1 1/2 inch Fresh Turmeric (pounded)
2 Lemongrass (light smashed)
10gm Dried Anchovies (Soft in Water and Dry)
10 Bird chilies
1. Pluck the tapioca shoots/leaves and wash.
2. Poach the leaves over a pot of boiling water. Once soften take out and drain.
3. Boil the coconut milk, add in pounded turmeric, lemongrass, anchovies, bird eye chilies and salt.
4, Add the poached tapioca shoots/leaves
5. Add water and salt, boiled for another 5-10mins at slow fire till fragrant.
6. Ready to serve with hot piping white rice.
I found the dish came out perfectly well and truly a delicious and simple to make. If you can’t get tapioca shoots/leaves, try using other green available, you never know it may taste even better.
Have a great Sunday, . . . . . Sidney Kan