Walking through a wet market can be truly exciting. Looking at the ingredients on sale at each stall can be a discovery. What caught my eye at the SS17, Petaling Jaya morning wet market was this arrowroot “Fun Kot” that looks similar to tapioca. Arrowroot is use make to powder and used as thicken agent in cooking. I had tried this arrowroot in a soup dish and it tasted really nice. Without any hesitation, I bought one and decided to make a go with it in my kitchen.
600gm Pork Ribs
3-4 Whole shallot
1. Wash and peel of the arrowroot skin.
2. Cleaning the pork ribs, rinse it over hot boiling water boiled for about 3-4 minutes.
3. Soften and to peel off the skin, soaked the peanuts in water 4-5 hours in advance. (if peanut skin is used, the soup will be rather milky in colour)
4. Place all the ingredients (arrowroot, pork ribs, peanuts, shallot and water) into the electric pressure cooker pot.
5. Close the lid and just press the button for cooking a 30-45mins cooking.(make sure the pressure release knob is close)
6. When the cooking time is complete, release the pressure knob to release the pressure inside the pressure pot. (be caution about the steam ozzing out through the knob)
7. Optional add salt to your preference.
Just love the taste of this soup, smooth and very refreshing with a hinted sweetness from the pork ribs. The tenderness smell of the arrowroot can be very captivating. The present of the arrowroot helps to ease upset stomachs and diarrhea. While peanuts helps to moist the lung and smoothing the bowel. But those allergic to nuts, opt peanuts out from this soup and replace with other ingredients such as lotus roots or just with arrowroots on its own. And also do avoid eating peanuts if you have diarrhea.
Another great recipe to try at your own comfort at home after a hard working day. . . . .. . . Sidney Kan