Signature Durian Pancake by Master Chef Thye Yoon Kong
When I was told there was a durian pancake class, I went straight to book myself a seat. I just love them, every single bite is luscious. Soft, smooth, creamy and full of durian aroma. It is truly classic and beatiful to have. Once again Chef Thye Yoon Kong of Zing, Grand Millennium Kuala Lumpur to the control of the kitchen. With his two assistances, he lead the way.
Pancake batter was make from basic ingredients like flour, butter and milk. I was truly simple and the most important part was the pan frying od the pancake using the non-stick pan. Every pancake make was total without floss, just perfect. All it neede was whipped cream and intensified durian paste filled onto the pancake and wrapped over.
Zing’s Signature Durian Pancake
250gm Hong Kong Flour (all purpose flour)
50gm Egg Yolk
600gm Fresh Milk
1000gm Durian Paste
1000ml Fresh Cream
Preparing the durian paste
1. Pre-prepared the flesh durian by having the fresh durian frozen or use fresh durian flesh.
Preparing the fresh cream.
1. Whip the fresh cream to stiff peak.
Preparing the pancake batter
1. Melt the butter and allow it to cool.
2. Mix sugar and flour into a mixing bowl mix it. Add in the egg yolk and continue mixing.
3. Add in fresh milk bit by bit, combining all ingredients together.
4. Lastly, add in the melted butter.
Pan frying the pancake
1. Heat up the pan lightlly. make sure that the fire is low.
2. Scoop 40gm of pancake batter and put it in the lightly heated pan, swirl it to ensure that the pancake is smooth, thin and even.
3. Pan fry the pancake one minute on both sides.
4. Remove pancake from pan and lay it out flat on the table to keep cool.
Wrapping the pancake
1. Apply fresh cream on the pancake skin, followed by a table spoon of durian ppaste.
2. Fold the pancake into half a moon.
3. Trim the sides and you have a durian pancake ready.
I just adore them, durian pancake sure drive me crazy and make me crave for them every second. . . . Love them, Sidney Kan