Eight Best Crab Dishes in Kuala Lumpur

Marmite Crab at Mei Xichuan Restaurant
Marmite Crab at Mei Chixuan Restaurant

I am totally a crab eating fan and I find them totally succulent, flavourful and excitingly delicious. As the high demand, most mud crabs available here in Kuala Lumpur are either imported from Bangladesh or from our neighbouring country Indonesia while Sri Lanka crabs seem scarce.

The prices of the mud crabs are based on their size, the big the size the higher the price per kg, usually small size starts from RM28/kg while medium size starts from RM40/kg and large size starts from RM70/kg. Mud crabs are be very versatile and can be steamed, grilled and deep fried over a variety of sauces such as sweet and sour, black pepper, curry powder, salted egg yolk, black bean and many more to name but it is a must to have them fresh as the meat will always be firm and sweet juicy.

It had always been fun indulging crabs as mallet, dull knife and even a claw cracker are being put to use and I always end up being in a mess but how can I resist of such temptation. I also find it easy and simple to cook with crabs, firstly clean wash and segment them into pieces. Then have the sauce ready and fold in the crab and cook for about 10-20minutes and serve while it is still warm. Here are two crab recipes, Clay Pot Crab with Korean Glass Noodle, a clear tasty broth with crunchy noodle and Cheese Crab, a delightful cheesy sauce that I had tested in my kitchen, both are great in taste and definitely both will definitely work well with your guests.

Cheese Crab
Cheese Crab

Recipe

Ingredients
1kg Live Meat Crab
300gm Evaporated Milk
2pcs Slice Cheese
A dash of salt and sugar for seasoning

Method
1. Wash and clean the crab. Separate the claws from the body. Crack the shell and cut the body into 2 pieces.
2. Heat up the evaporate milk on the wok.
3. Place the crab pieces into the evaporated milk and cooked till the crab pieces turned red.
4. Season the crab with a bit salt and sugar.
5. Once the crab pieces cooked, take it out and place onto the serving place.
6. Place the slice cheese on top of the crab pieces.
7. Then pour the hot boiling evaporated milk sauce over as to melt the slice cheese.
8. Serve the dish while it is warm.

Claypot Crab with Korean Glass Noodle
Claypot Crab with Korean Glass Noodle

Recipe

Ingredients
1kg Live Meat Crab
100gm Korean Glass Noodle
400gm Chicken Stock
1clove Garlic (sliced)
15gm Sliced Fresh Ginger
20gm Fresh Coriander Root
1pcs Fermented Beancurd (mashed)
1tsp Oil
1/2tsp Sesame Oil
A dash of white pepper and salt for seasoning

Method
2. Boiled the chicken stock in a bowl and place in the Korean glass noodle and cooked for a minute till the noodle turn soft.
3. Take the noodle out from the chicken stock and set it aside.
4. Heat up the clay pot. Add in oil and stir in garlic and ginger till fragrant.
5. Add in sesame oil and stir fry in for a minute.
6. Add in the chicken stock and fermented beancurd till boiled.
7. Then add in the coriander roots and crab, cooked till the crab pieces turn red.
8. Take out the crab pieces from the clay pot and set aside.
9. Place the Korean glass noodle into the clay pot and place the cooked crab pieces on top.
10. Serve while it is boiling hot.

Besides cooking my own crab dishes, I also exploring trying out other crab dishes and I found them to be awesomely gorgeous and exciting.

• August 23, 2010 - 1:58 am | Permalink

Yum, all these different way of cooking crabs!
    .-= LCOM´s last blog ..Nagaimo Mung Bean Dessert =-.

• August 23, 2010 - 10:38 am | Permalink

Cholesterol meter got pumped up early in the morning by looking at this post … lol
    .-= email2me´s last blog ..Best Tandoori Chicken and Naan Bread in KL at Arumugam’s Opposite Ampang Point =-.

• August 23, 2010 - 12:12 pm | Permalink

Lovely crab dishes. Been meaning to go Mei Chixuan Restaurant but some how always detoured.

Cook crabs dish a few times at home. Hard to get all the mud off the crab. Any tips? I brush using toothbrush 😛
    .-= kathy´s last blog ..Restauramt Kim Heong- Seri Petaling =-.

• August 23, 2010 - 1:03 pm | Permalink

yum yum yum
    .-= ai wei´s last blog ..Funky Villa @ e@Curve =-.

• August 23, 2010 - 1:11 pm | Permalink

OMG.. marmite crab, cheese crab, grille crab and so many more.. I’m already drooling wen seeing this, plus I havent take my breakfast or lunch yet.. lol :)
    .-= wyyv´s last blog ..Family Recipes 2 Fatt Gou?? =-.

• August 23, 2010 - 1:27 pm | Permalink

So many types cooking ways….yummy!~
    .-= uLi´s last blog ..Take A Break – Golden Palm Tree Sea Villas Sepang Gold Coast =-.

• August 23, 2010 - 1:28 pm | Permalink

Why toxic us with those crabs!!! Devil you!
    .-= mimid3vils´s last blog ..Berbuka Puasa @ OBriens Irish Sandwich Cafe =-.

• August 23, 2010 - 3:38 pm | Permalink

Salted egg yolk crab is my favourite!
    .-= iamthewitch´s last blog ..OSIS Kill Routine for guys! =-.

• August 23, 2010 - 6:15 pm | Permalink

ham dan hai is my favorite too! but i feel my cholesterol level rising already looking at your pics 😛
    .-= xin´s last blog ..Mouth Waterning Ramadan Set Dinner and Buffet in Sime Darby Convention Centre =-.

• August 23, 2010 - 9:22 pm | Permalink

I want to try that cheese crab!
    .-= pigpigscorner´s last blog ..Nam Yee Pork with Black Fungus &amp Tofu =-.

• August 23, 2010 - 9:47 pm | Permalink

hmmm, i’m not a fans of crabs lor.. because i find it really very troublesome to eat..
    .-= [SK]´s last blog ..20082010 ???? =-.

• August 23, 2010 - 9:49 pm | Permalink

normally i just try the sauce to eat with buns.. especially the salted egg, cheesy sauce, sweet & sour sauce, nice nice..
    .-= [SK]´s last blog ..20082010 ???? =-.

• August 23, 2010 - 9:50 pm | Permalink

but if got somebody to help me take of the shell, and serve me only the clean flesh of the crabs, i don’t mind eating.. hahahaha!! 😀
    .-= [SK]´s last blog ..20082010 ???? =-.

• August 23, 2010 - 10:56 pm | Permalink

what a great recipe, I have not enjoyed crab in awhile, this would be a perfect treat!!

sweetlife
    .-= sweetlife´s last blog ..Please Stop By…My First Guest Post… =-.

• September 7, 2010 - 6:13 am | Permalink

I love crab, but I don’t understand why the restaurateurs in Malaysia do not import Sri Lankan mud crab ala those found in Singapore. Will have to ask you out for crab crawling the next time I am in KL!!
    .-= Rasa Malaysia´s last blog ..Spicy Chicken with Cashew Nuts =-.