Nikko Hotel Dim Sum Class with Chef Lo Tian Sion

Sunny Fish Ball
Throwing The Fish Paste

Next was the fish ball making session. It was truly an eye opener for myself as only now I realised that two different meat are being used to make the paste, mackeral fish and cuttlefish. Cuttlefish was used in this recipe was to create a bouncy lovely texture. It was very educational, yet another secret was told, water was added into the paste before mixing it as to create a softer texture, if not the fish ball will be very hard. Interesting. Excited too!

Shaidah Shafie Shasha
Writer Shaidah Shafie aka Shasha from Berita Harian

Shasha was not far from me and I saw her enjoying making her dim sum too.

Uli Fish Ball
Uli & Her Fish Paste

sweet potato balls
Our Sweet Potato Balls

Uli Johnson Sunny
Uli, Johnson & myself

Ken Bok Mei Yee Esther
Ken, Ah Bok, Mei Yee & Esther

Group photo
The Group Photo

It was such an enjoyable Dim Sum class, full of fun, great tips and for most the Dim Sum was truly delicious . . . . . . I enjoyed the Dim Sum, Sunny Yaw

The next Dim Sum class will be on the 17th July at 10.00amat Nikko Hotel. Price at RM150.00++ per participant. Reservation call +603 2782 6188 or email foodand beverage@hotelnikko.com.my

• Danny
    July 6, 2010 - 1:32 pm | Permalink

Hi Sunny ! Congrats on yr full page appearance on Sat SinChew , to occupied a whole page write-up on a leading newspapper nationwide is truly remarkable. Well done !

• July 6, 2010 - 2:12 pm | Permalink

I love eating those fish balls and siew mai the next day! LOL!
    .-= iamthewitch´s last blog ..Dim Sum Making Workshop at Hotel Nikko =-.

• July 6, 2010 - 2:26 pm | Permalink

A great class! I am a big fan of Dim Sums!

• July 6, 2010 - 3:23 pm | Permalink

any possibility of making dim sum deserts as part of big boys oven now? btw.. left an enquiry on my blog about the sesame street cake and light cheese cake.
    .-= lechua´s last blog ..Flash Photography Model Shoot =-.

• July 6, 2010 - 5:08 pm | Permalink

Dim Sum, my favourite

• July 6, 2010 - 6:37 pm | Permalink

Wah, I can see that everyone is enjoying the class!
    .-= cariso´s last blog ..Shong Hor Hin ??? Daily Dessert =-.

• July 6, 2010 - 8:11 pm | Permalink

it seems like a pretty fun class which can learn making dim sum and eat :D
    .-= wyyv´s last blog ..Sweet Hut – Kuchai Dynasty Central =-.

• July 6, 2010 - 11:05 pm | Permalink

Awesome Dim Sum Making Class……hope we’ll have chance to attend the mooncake making class too :P
    .-= uLi´s last blog ..uLi In Action – Dim Sum Culinary Workshop with Chef Lo- =-.

• July 7, 2010 - 1:25 am | Permalink

Looks like an awesome class!
    .-= LCOM´s last blog ..Yellowstone National Park Trip 2 =-.

• July 7, 2010 - 4:11 am | Permalink

wow fun would love to have a dim sum class, we always binge when we visit NYC
    .-= rebecca´s last blog ..Nicoise Inspired Salad with Quail Eggs =-.

• July 7, 2010 - 8:09 am | Permalink

love seeing you guys having fun :)
    .-= NKOTB´s last blog ..Hot Wok =-.

• July 7, 2010 - 9:34 am | Permalink

What a great sounding class! I’d love to learn how to make those dumplings -mainly because hubby is a dumpling addict!
    .-= Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella´s last blog ..The Press Club Restaurant -amp Bar- Melbourne =-.

• July 7, 2010 - 9:36 am | Permalink

so cool lah! all of u know how to make dimsum now. so i can get free coaching from u all right? :p

• July 7, 2010 - 12:03 pm | Permalink

This is the best way to make dim sum — with a crowd of people. I’ve had friends host dim sum-making parties, and they are the best time ever. You get people in groups, with each one making a different dumpling. In no time, you have a ton of them, ready for cooking and enjoying.
    .-= Carolyn Jung´s last blog ..Uncomplicated Fruit-Topped Yellow Cake =-.

• July 7, 2010 - 2:22 pm | Permalink

this must be a very interesting and fun class.. having fun while learning to do something new.. hmmm, i hope your work is not sold to the customers?? haha~~ :p
    .-= [SK]´s last blog ..05072010 ???? =-.

• July 7, 2010 - 7:35 pm | Permalink

oh, i want dimsum!!! havent had dimsum for more than 10mths already since i am here in germany ><
    .-= fufu´s last blog ..FuFu Pride – ???? =-.

• July 8, 2010 - 12:08 am | Permalink

what fun! I would have made my dim sum with minced prawns, chestnuts, minced and heaps of chinese chives!!!
    .-= daphne´s last blog ..Star Anise Stewed Pork with Soya Egg =-.

• July 8, 2010 - 4:11 am | Permalink

I wish I was in Malaysia. I would definitely go for this class. Sounds so fun!!!
    .-= My Simple Food´s last blog ..Ginger Scallion Noodles adapted from Momofuku =-.

• July 8, 2010 - 4:37 am | Permalink

Oh how cool. I’d love to learn how to make dim sum properly! Mine is very thrown together and very untraditional, lol.
    .-= Su-yin´s last blog ..The food of Florence part 1 =-.

• July 8, 2010 - 7:44 am | Permalink

The dim sum making class is so much fun, and it’s a good opportunity to learn making dim sum – my favorite, especially those with prawns.
    .-= Little Inbox´s last blog ..Chicken Stew =-.

• July 8, 2010 - 12:49 pm | Permalink

My gigantic Siew Mais and Fishballs are still in the freezer!! :D

• July 8, 2010 - 2:06 pm | Permalink

very nice dim sum class…i truly enjoy this dim sum class a lot
    .-= via´s last blog ..Dim Sum CHEF IN THE MAKING – Hotel Nikko Kuala Lumpur =-.

• July 9, 2010 - 1:47 pm | Permalink

wow nice got free class, somemore the course is very expensive ler… O.O
    .-= mimid3vils´s last blog ..Zen Ichi =-.

• July 9, 2010 - 4:45 pm | Permalink

Nice to be able to know how much effort is needed to make such tasty food.

Have yet to make dim sum on my own and most prob never will because I would just rather eat them..lol
    .-= nrewq´s last blog ..Betty’s Midwest Kitchen – Aman Suria- PJ =-.

• July 9, 2010 - 10:43 pm | Permalink

I love dimsum for breakfast too :D But too lazy to make by myself :)))
    .-= Pepy @Indonesia Eats´s last blog ..Cah Kangkung Terasi – Stir Fry Water Spinach with Terasi =-.

• July 12, 2010 - 9:48 am | Permalink

This is exciting…hope I can make it to the coming Dim Sum class!
    .-= ck lam´s last blog ..Lum Mee and Curry Mee – Campbell Street Market =-.

• July 12, 2010 - 12:06 pm | Permalink

indeed it was a great classs. . . love to do it again~