The Zen Star Chef – Secret Recipe

THE CONTENDERS & THEIR CREATIONS

Zen Star Chef Emil Farez
CONTENDER EMIL FAREZ

Fish Tempura & Beans serve with Pumpkin Curry Dip, the tempura is something I like to endulge but not in a competiton as find them being left too long and end up being soggy. I love fish dishes but must be done to the perfection. Pumpkin curry dip sounded rather interesting and innovate to me, a must try. I think a whip of thick cream may do better. The dessert calledChilled Strawberry Cheesecake by the chef himself was slick indeed, just lovely, the simple red strawberry ruby decorated just an eye catching, a beautiful centre piece.

Zen Star Chef Fish Tempura & Beans serve with Pumpkin Curry Dip by Emil Farez
THE MAIN: FISH TEMPURA & BEANS SERVE WITH PUMPKIN CURRY DIP BY EMIL FAREZ
Zen Star Chef Chilled Strawberry Cheesecake by Emil Farez
THE DESSERT: CHILLED STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE BY EMIL FAREZ

Zen Star Chef Jeff Wang
CONTENDER JEFF WANG

The dish Baked Cheese Thai Curry Chicken Fried Rice looked rather normal to me, it doesn’t glo at all. The baked cheese seemed lost within the thai curry chicken, no doubt the thai curry was tasty but the whole dish was lack of garnish. When it came to dessert Banana Chocolate Slice, this one caught my eye, nothing new but the simplicity caught my attention. The chocolate and juicy slices of banana just make me salivating on the spot.

Zen Star Chef Baked Cheese Thai Curry Chicken Fried Rice by Jeff Wang
THE MAIN: BAKED CHEESE THAI CURRY CHICKEN FRIED RICE BY JEFF WANG
Zen Star Chef Banana Chocolate Slice by Jeff Wang
THE DESSERT: BANANA CHOCOLATE SLICE BY JEFF WANG

Zen Star Chef Peter Pang
CONTENDER PETER PANG

I found this main dish Hot Pot Braised Chicken rather less attarctive even it maybe be simple and also lack of colours. The dessert Trio Mousse was well presented but nothing new.

Zen Star Chef  Hot Pot Braised Chicken by Peter Pang
THE MAIN: HOT POT BRAISED CHICKEN BY PETER PANG
Zen Star Chef Trio Mousse by Peter Pang
THE DESSERT: TRIO MOUSSE BY PETER PANG

Zen Star Chefs & Judge Laurent Lherisson
JUDGE LAURENT LHERISSON WILL THE SIX CONTENDERS OF THE ZEN STAR CHEF

It was a great event to be and able to meet so many exciting young star chefs in making and hope to see more of this kind of event in Kuala Lumpur. I did pull a joke with Chef Laurent Lherisson on who will win, but both of us had our eyes on one of them, how about you? . . . . . I truly enjoyed, Sunny Yaw

• July 24, 2009 - 12:26 pm | Permalink

ZEN is awesome! We never know there is so many events going on in M’sia. Tks for sharing!
    .-= Alice´s last blog ..Shark’s fin melon soup ???? =-.

• Danny
    July 24, 2009 - 1:17 pm | Permalink

By looking at the pictures I reckon that you really commended well. Secrete Recipe outlets are getting really boring and they are everywhere to bore people. They make good cakes but not a la carte dish(but then again BBO makes cakes many times better). Often I notice empty tables at their outlets ,even worst at Zen. i guess they are too occupied recruting franchisor and negleting
    their core business.

• July 24, 2009 - 5:51 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the in-depth analysis– I wonder if any of them are bloggers, maybe we can get their “secret recipes” ;)
    .-= Manggy´s last blog ..Ruins Longanisang Hubad =-.

• July 25, 2009 - 12:28 am | Permalink

Food looks sterile without the flourish but then I like all the desserts!
    .-= Chin´s last blog ..Palace for a Queen – Victoria Memorial in Kolkata, India =-.

• July 25, 2009 - 4:46 am | Permalink

From the pictures, I like contender Alson Khor the most, presentation wise and incorporating calamasi in his cheesecake, unique and stood out from the rest. I would prefer some sauce on the salmon though, can’t eat it dry like that, “bor ho jiak lah”.
    .-= Little Corner of Mine´s last blog ..Banana Cake =-.

• July 25, 2009 - 6:27 am | Permalink

I have not been to Zen yet. hey guys! I’m coming home in 5days time! Can’t wait for a gathering :)
    Sorry for not stopping by lately. just finished traveling! Dont even have time to update my own blog ;( too many pics to sort out. see u guys then k!!
    .-= Christine´s last blog ..Away for Holiday =-.

• July 25, 2009 - 3:31 pm | Permalink

ooo, this is about the zen. aiks. can’t make it last time.
    will they market all these?
    .-= ai wei´s last blog ..Beard Papa’s @ Pavilion KL =-.

• July 26, 2009 - 7:43 am | Permalink

goshhh… why such events happened when I’m out of the country (for months that is!) Guys… any videos of the event :-) please…please…please…
    .-= pixen´s last blog ..Wanton Wrappers With Quail Eggs, Lotus Seeds and Gingkos Sweet Soup =-.

• July 26, 2009 - 10:48 am | Permalink

It is an interesting event. Maybe Pixen is right, good idea to record up the event to share with all everyone :)
    .-= ck lam´s last blog ..Penang Food – Hainan Chicken Rice Thai Style =-.

• July 26, 2009 - 5:52 pm | Permalink

Everything looks yummy here and i dunno which to choose. ;p
    .-= Dora´s last blog ..Black Garlic =-.

• July 28, 2009 - 10:11 am | Permalink

never been to zen before as most of my friend kutuk the food damm teruk, so ended up i never gave them a chance also..kekek..
    it looks more like desert competition rather than the food. the desert looks damm tempting! *drooling~
    .-= taufulou´s last blog ..Uncle Duck @ Low Yatt Plaza, KL =-.

• August 10, 2009 - 12:09 pm | Permalink

I did get an invitation to the event but unfortunetly cudnt make it.Looks like I missed a cool event.But I did catch up some news regarding it on the TV3 news.
    .-= Malaysian Delicacies´s last blog ..Picked Chicken Tortilla =-.