Johor Bahru Best Bak Kuh Teh at Soon Soon Huat Restaurant

SOON SOON HUAT

Danny said,

. . . . . actually J.B is not really famous for food like Ipoh or Penang where by 8 out of 10 outlets you walk in you get satisfaction. Other than the beef noodles, plus may be the orang asli sea food , just can’t think of others. Totally agreed with Chin on these type of vanishing food stuff. Especially in KL where you hardly even get a proper wan ton mee. . . . .

SOON SOON HUAT 4

• Danny
    June 24, 2009 - 10:18 am | Permalink

Wah ! Your quide in JB is a true connoisseur, he/she must has hated me for comparing JB food with Ipoh/Penang. Have tried the Soon Soon Huat bakuteh but still prefer the Klang type. Miss the pork knuckle ,next time must order. Your pictures made the food irresistible. Anyway, taste is personnal preference, is my wrong to compare food, but sometime just can,t help it. (Sorry,I still prefer the Chan Sow Lin (oldman) steam fish than the JB type)

• June 24, 2009 - 10:27 am | Permalink

When I was still a kid, my dad brought me to Johor Bahru and I tasted the best Bak Kut Teh in my life.. I’m not sure that restaurant I went is the same one on your post.. But I used to think that JB Bak Kut Teh is better than Klang’s..=p
    Maybe it’s because I prefer lighter taste soup..lol

• June 24, 2009 - 11:08 am | Permalink

the braised pork knuckle looks yummy…but the BKT looks a bit bland ya…compared to Klang type…

• June 24, 2009 - 2:07 pm | Permalink

hmm, guess the food’s really good, having you throwing praises left and right. :)
    never knew JB got good food though. so thanks …
    .-= J2Kfm´s last blog ..Teluk Intan Nasi Pulut & Buntong Beef Noodles @ New Weng Fatt, Ipoh =-.

• June 24, 2009 - 4:15 pm | Permalink

never know this part of the country, think must plan for a holiday already. :)
    .-= New Kid On The Blog´s last blog ..Ivy’s Kitchen =-.

• June 24, 2009 - 5:04 pm | Permalink

They should call the bak kut teh as pepper bak kut teh instead, hehe…

• June 25, 2009 - 5:56 am | Permalink

Glad to know a makan place in JB because whenever I go back, will have to spend half of the stay in JB.
    .-= Ching´s last blog ..Tofu with Ground/Minced Pork Asian Style =-.

• June 25, 2009 - 8:41 am | Permalink

Were all the delicious dishes cooked by the young cook in the photo? Really talented!
    .-= food-4tots´s last blog ..My masala chai photo featured in VivaMais Magazine =-.

• June 25, 2009 - 1:23 pm | Permalink

i used to like the lighter version of bkt, but now im used to the thick klang ones!
    .-= xin´s last blog ..Kun Kee Wantan Mee @ Uptown =-.

• June 25, 2009 - 2:18 pm | Permalink

hie, love your post on jb bak kut teh. indeed, food in jb is fantastic. 6 years staying in jb, and i seem to be growing sideways. the next time you’re there, you might wanna try very lip-smacking char koay teow @ Xia Seng Kopitiam facing the main road @ Johor Jaya (past Giant Plentong)

• June 26, 2009 - 12:23 pm | Permalink

the braised pork knuckle looks so alluring la! Beh tahan lo.. So hungry now!

• June 26, 2009 - 11:57 pm | Permalink

I was curious to see the cook being soooooo young and so office-boy dressed.

• October 14, 2009 - 10:53 pm | Permalink