Uncle Sunny Wong’s Home Cooked Food | KL Best @ Off Jalan Ipoh

Having the time to track down anything that is delicious can be really exciting and be fruitful as the time spend is so worth while is like having a pot of gold in your hands. Two weeks ago CK and her hubby took a break from their hectic work and had visited Kuala Lumpur. During that few days we went food hunting with Ken and we end up at this little half concrete and half wooden house cum restaurant. My first sight of this eatery was not impressive at all due to the surface look but as you may read on, my views are totally changed . . . . . “never judge a place or a person by it’s cover”.

Uncle Wong's Home Cook Food 1

This place reminded myself of my childhood life where the village I stayed that called my hometown. Everything was very basic, you get a wooden round table, wooden chairs and simple basic cultery. This is so remindful and so authentic. Uncle Wong is the name of the proprietor of this little restaurant and run by his wife and kids. Uncle Wong basically the main cook who handles 2 to 3 stoves at one go and his wife does the prep work. The kids will do the serving and looking after the customers beverage need.

Uncle Wong's Home Cook Food 2

It was a simple open kitchen concept where we can see him cooking our dinner. This really reminded me of my little adventure at the Palace of the Golden Horse where I dine in the kitchen while the chefs mastering the dinner. I got to say that this restaurant served the best home cooking food without any frills, trust me. Dining here reminds me of my mum’s and aunt’s cooking, simple yet delicious.

Uncle Wong's Home Cook Food 3

This restaurant don’t have a name, so I called it Uncle Sunny Wong’s Home Cooked Food. This restaurant is located along Ipoh Road, just next to the Ipoh Road School or just opposite the Ipoh Road Indian Temple.

Uncle Wong's Home Cook Food 4

• April 28, 2009 - 9:17 pm | Permalink

I not really know how to cook a good grey oyster mushroom dish, but now I know how to cook with it, thanks for sharing.

NasiLemakLover’s last blog post..Flexible and affordable wall decorations

April 28, 2009 - 11:48 pm | Permalink

hey nasilemaklove, great to know that my post will help you dishing out fantastic dishes, hope I can try your cooking one day!

• April 28, 2009 - 9:44 pm | Permalink

The pictures *smells* so home cooked… miss my hometown so much…

allie’s last blog post..Invited Review | Haven Delights (Part I)

April 28, 2009 - 11:46 pm | Permalink

allie, allie we go makan-makan at our hometown when we meet up! :)

• April 28, 2009 - 11:02 pm | Permalink

This is one of the places that I would want to go often but looks like I have to wait for a while before I can taste Uncle Wong’s dishes.
    So at the meantime, I really envy all of you for able to drop by his place anytime…haha

ck lam’s last blog post..Lobster Village Seafood Restaurant @ Pantai Bersih

April 28, 2009 - 11:45 pm | Permalink

CK, Uncle Wong’s cooking is awesome, so delicious and affordable, thanks to Ken who brought us there!
      by the way, my diary got a date with you next month eh? hahahahahahah . . . . . .

• April 29, 2009 - 7:56 am | Permalink

The foods are simple yet delicious ah……..

FoOd PaRaDiSe’s last blog post..Restoran Sin Hwa Lam Seafood Restaurant @ Batu Maung, Penang

April 29, 2009 - 8:13 am | Permalink

Food Paradise, yes the food here is simple yet so full of chinese gastronomic.

• April 29, 2009 - 8:04 am | Permalink

I wish to try when down in KL one day… this is awesome!!!

New Kid On The Blog’s last blog post..Deluxcious Spa Cuisine & Café

April 29, 2009 - 8:15 am | Permalink

well simply the best, no frills, if you like something simple and inexpensive, this is the place. This is the right place when the cook at home decided to take a break from the kitchen!

• April 29, 2009 - 8:47 am | Permalink

simple and nice meal….esp the steamed egg…my love!

SimpleGirl’s last blog post..Beverage from Aussie

April 29, 2009 - 9:22 am | Permalink

hi simplegirl, yes the dishes were simple but they do bring back loads of memories, mum’s cooking. simple and delicious! :)

• April 29, 2009 - 10:32 am | Permalink

Simplicity at its best! I am always in awe of folks like the chef who can handle multiple orders from different tables so gracefully! Will be a bit tricky for me to get to that part of town but well worth it!

550ml jar of faith’s last blog post..Taro terror!

April 29, 2009 - 11:16 am | Permalink

truely delicous I would say . . . . I too did not expect such until i dine there! simplicity with a taste of its class :)

• April 29, 2009 - 12:14 pm | Permalink

wow!! rm65?? thats a steal!! everything looks very delicious! eh next time bring me ha.. 😛

April 29, 2009 - 12:35 pm | Permalink

I was also shocked with the total price for the night and went back again the next week.

• Shleesy
    April 29, 2009 - 3:20 pm | Permalink

Yum… yum…
    Does this place open for lunch as well?
    I was from Ipoh Road Girls School and didn’t realised of this place, any chance you can provide me the direction?

• Ros
    April 29, 2009 - 3:26 pm | Permalink

Hi Sunny,

By any chance you have the address? Off Jln Ipoh, near to?? Any landmark?? Thanks! Yummy homecooked foods!

April 29, 2009 - 3:33 pm | Permalink

Hi Ros, I am sure you notice the Indian Temple along Jalan Ipoh near the train depo. Just opposite the road of the indian temple next to the school.

• April 29, 2009 - 8:17 pm | Permalink

Wow! Firstly the price. Secondly I like the cooking style – very homecook style , simple and flavourful.

cariso’s last blog post..Azuma Japanese Restaurant – This April Promotion

April 30, 2009 - 8:41 am | Permalink

cariso, yes yes it was explosive! I was caught with full of surprise and yet so satisfy

• April 29, 2009 - 8:42 pm | Permalink

This restaurant free hand for you to suggest the chef how you want to cook your meal. And most interesting is no menu also. 😀

email2me’s last blog post..Prince Hotel Kuala Lumpur, Grill To Perfection at Eccucino

April 30, 2009 - 8:32 am | Permalink

true, you can tell the chef what type of dishes you might have in mind and Uncle will try to dish them out! just lovely!

• April 29, 2009 - 11:12 pm | Permalink

Hi big boys oven! haven’t been by in a while, looks like you are eating well! that restaurant sounds like a wonderful find and is best indicated by the fact that you returned the next week! I love the rustic appeal and it’s always nice to dine alfresco.

foodhoe’s last blog post..Gary Danko, San Francisco

April 30, 2009 - 8:34 am | Permalink

hi foodhoe, yes it is difficult to find a rustic place to dine in the city this days! The food was simple and delicious at an affordable price too, something that is hard to find in the city.

• April 29, 2009 - 11:21 pm | Permalink

All the dishes look so homely! My MIL’s vinegared pork trotter is very delicious. Unfortunately I am not a great fan of that. Hehehe!

April 30, 2009 - 8:34 am | Permalink

hahahaah noted this, next time when we dine, I will not have this! :)

• April 30, 2009 - 1:00 am | Permalink

Pork trotters!! outdoor air!! I am booking a plane ticket. Some of the greatest restaurants I love to eat at are absolute hole in the walls. Heck I almost drug friends physically into the place to eat there but once they eat there they have learned never judge a book by its cover too. Sad that so many people can’t get over their fear of nasty looking places and barge in and sit down.

Awesome write up!

Jeff’s last blog post..Mojo Pork Chops

April 30, 2009 - 8:39 am | Permalink

well find food in this place can be so rewarding just like what Selba is doing in Jakarta, I too loves her finding in the city of jakarta. I guess modernization had cause such heritage food just gone missing and disappear just right infront of us, such food should be continue.

• April 30, 2009 - 12:23 pm | Permalink

It’s looks nice. The layout very similar to our tree shade cafe. If got chance to be at KL sure want to drop by. Btw glad to meet up with you during the Penang review.

Steven Goh’s last blog post..Penang Time Square Haven Delights @ Main Dishes Chapter

April 30, 2009 - 12:35 pm | Permalink

i think you can find more simlarity of this restaurant in Penang compare to KL. I find it awesome. Yes it was great to me with you and hope to me more often on our next next trips to Penang.

• April 30, 2009 - 1:07 pm | Permalink

The steamed egg is really working my appetite up. Too precious to chew and too rude to suck just let it flow and savour the goodness.

Chin’s last blog post..Kelantanese Leha Kelfood – Melati Utama, Setapak, KL

April 30, 2009 - 1:59 pm | Permalink

wow! Love how you detailize on the way you indulge your steam egg, just pure amazed me now. Just fantastic! 😉

• April 30, 2009 - 1:19 pm | Permalink

The fried chicken & sotong not oily at all from the outlook, like it!!

mimid3vils’s last blog post..Krispy Kreme Doughnuts

April 30, 2009 - 2:01 pm | Permalink

mimid3vils, truely not oily at all rather dry, well drained I think. The sotong was good but I felt the chicken was slightly burn which has a bit bitter taste but still not bad, the meat was strangely moist.

• April 30, 2009 - 1:46 pm | Permalink

very homely indeed. and hey for a moment i thought it was your stall -_- !

p/s: my mom can make very smooooth and silky steam egg. I think its the time factor. And she usually will add water to the egg so it wont become hard

xin’s last blog post..Ccozi & Friends (Best Korean Street Food) @ Sunway Pyramid

April 30, 2009 - 2:04 pm | Permalink

walio xin! I will die standing if I were to manage a stall, I will cry on your shoulder lol!

p/s bravo to all mums! they can do wonders don’t they! :) I did mine with added water but it never set instead it turned out like a bowl of starchy soup! lol! :(

• May 17, 2009 - 12:04 am | Permalink

The food sure look delicious and affordable!

LCOM’s last blog post..American Ginseng Chicken Herbal Soup (?????)

May 17, 2009 - 4:12 am | Permalink

yes the food was so affordable! you must recommend this place to your friends!

• Wong
    November 21, 2009 - 10:07 am | Permalink

Hi,

Can you please give me a detailed direction to uncle sunny’s place? I’ve tried finding for this place many times but couldnt find it.

Say, I’m coming from dynasty hotel direction. I go straight & will be able to see shell station. Abit down the road there’s a school & just side by side is the indian temple.

Is sunny’s place on the same side of the road I’m on? Do i need to turn into any small road? Or is the place on the opposite side of the road I’m on? Meaning I have to U-turn at the traffic light? Please advise.. Thanks