The Dying Art Of A Good, Delicious & The Best ‘Chee Cheong Fun’

PASIR PINJI 3 ROAD, PASIR PINJI, IPOH

Note: “Chee Cheong Fun” = Steam Rice Noodle
When I was a kid, I still remember my dad and mom will take me out for a ride on their morris minor and it was always be a special night when we headed to the Caning Garden “Chee Cheong Fun”. I can still remember the stall which was located at the middle side of a football field. It was as usually crowded and that it was nearly more than 30years ago. And yet recently the temptation of “Chee Cheong Fun” had excited me again, reborn! . . . . as I had found the best ever “Chee Cheong Fun” in my whole entire life and this is the one, a NO name “Chee Cheong Fun” located in Pasir Pinji.

The best jokes that we alway cracked about this stall was their quing number system whereby you have to obtain before serving. YES! the QUE and YOU are not the QUEEN!, YOU still have to wait and with added patient! You will be given a number, sit and you will be served when your number is called. Don’t this tell you about the “Chee Cheong Fun” served here. YES! It is truely awesome delicious “Chee Cheong Fun”, it just melts in your mouth, so soft and yet so fragrant, with the mixture of an authentic sauce which enhance this “Chee Cheong Fun” ever further. The real bonus about it, . . . it is really affordable, so CHEAP!, read my word again if you dont believe,………… VERY CHEAP!

O
B

The authentic sauce, . . . soya sauce, sweet sauce, chilli sauce and pickle green cut chillies!

• Manggy
    December 10, 2008 - 1:08 am | Permalink

Ooh, looks delicious! I’ve never seen one before. I wonder how they are eaten? :)

• Dhanggit
    December 10, 2008 - 6:36 am | Permalink

wow, they look delicious!! i have been away for a while!! i miss you guys and your sweet stuffs!!

ps, how’s the class goin?,pretty busy im sure..

• cariso
    December 10, 2008 - 6:46 am | Permalink

Wah! It looks so kochabi!

• Cutie
    December 10, 2008 - 8:18 am | Permalink

It looks good. The uncle is so old but yet he is still so active in making it everyday. I really admire them at times. But I wouldn’t mind doing such thing with my other half till old age. hehe…

• thenomadGourmand
    December 10, 2008 - 10:34 am | Permalink

Yes, it’s a dying art alrite.. if only they pass it dwn to the nx generation..

• Girl Japan
    December 10, 2008 - 6:44 pm | Permalink

Hiya.. so sorry I missed your last few posts… I was on a long awaited vacation… just getting back but heading back out and WOW these are my favorite especially at YumCha = )

• Little Corner of Mine
    December 11, 2008 - 11:35 am | Permalink

Salivating liao!

• shavedicesundays
    December 11, 2008 - 3:41 pm | Permalink

Very informative post. THanks for sharing!

• wEtwEtwAtEr
    December 11, 2008 - 6:46 pm | Permalink

Fwah… Looks damn yummy, fresh from the steamer. Hmm..

BBO, lets go for a food trip?

• myfoodsafari
    December 12, 2008 - 2:51 pm | Permalink

Oooh yummy. I miss the delicious food.. I’m drooling over my keyboard already. Must make a trip back to M’sia soon.

• tigerfish
    December 12, 2008 - 8:48 pm | Permalink

I agree it is lost dying art!

• Life for Beginners
    December 13, 2008 - 12:34 am | Permalink

I love the first pic of the board with the prices! So rustic, hor? :)

• Jason Wong
    December 13, 2008 - 12:56 am | Permalink

We so envy you to have a chance to take this Pasir Pinji CCF photographs. We only sneakingly took a few shots at the front cuase the Aunty was grumbling, which she always does.
    She asked us not to promote more as she is unable to cope with the increasing business and the under manned problem.
    The following is the link to the blog we did on them:

• email2me
    December 13, 2008 - 3:50 am | Permalink

Wah ! I think this is the one that Sue (suemeifyoucan) told me about. Must find a chance to visit it on my next trip back to Penang.

• Allie
    December 13, 2008 - 9:10 am | Permalink

Hie, Nice to meet you in person~ :)

So this is the delicious ccf you were talking about that nite. Will go and find this place if I happen to be at Ipoh.

• zthon
    December 13, 2008 - 2:34 pm | Permalink

i love this!!!
    that day i was just talking to my sister about it. we were thinking why it’s so difficult to find delicious ones 😀
    i feel so hungry now 😀

• ck lam
    December 13, 2008 - 7:28 pm | Permalink

Nice insight shots showing the preparation of the CCF…

• Lisan
    December 14, 2008 - 5:12 pm | Permalink

This stall is called “Ah Tuck Chee Cheong Fun”. The simplest yet most delicious chee cheong fun.

• Zen Chef
    December 14, 2008 - 7:36 pm | Permalink

I love the pictures of Uncle making the Chee Cheong Fun. This is a classic. Thanks for sharing.

• law
    December 18, 2008 - 9:53 am | Permalink

since my 1st trip to ipoh a few yrs back, i have heard of this stall from my ipoh friend. but too bad i have never been to there before, yaya becoz of the famous numbering queeing system. a plate of ccf may cost u more than an hour++ of waiting, yet u finish it within seconds.

i think is mainly due to freshly baked ccf, thats why the progress is a bit slow. i very appreciate their style, like in HK, the sifu making fresh tim sum in front of u.
    hope their next generation wont let such culture slip away.

• lilyng
    December 19, 2008 - 11:41 am | Permalink

this is the chee cheong fun that i have been missing.

hope oen day a kind soul will teach me how to make them, in the meantime, have to be satisfied with what we have.

• Sue Me
    December 20, 2008 - 6:26 am | Permalink

I know this place!! hahaha..like duh..i stay nearby. HAHAHAHAHA..

burp..

• Cassie Khaw
    December 28, 2008 - 11:05 pm | Permalink

I went to this stall before which run by a granny and pop, this is awesome. We waited for 45 minutes but it all worth. Thanks for reminding me of this. Would really love to visit again. The Chee Cheong Fun is delish, also, AUTHENTIC!!

• Comments are closed.