MY TRAVELOGUE : PENANG PART 1

DSCN0796DSCN0801DSCN0802
DSCN0804DSCN0806DSCN0808

We arrived in Penang late on friday nite, meet up with my friends and straight went out for dinner at Super Tanker which was a foodcourt. There were a lot of stalls selling different type of food and we ended up being selective. I ordered curry noodle which was tasty, Sid ordered a bowl shrimp noodle “har mein” then came along a plate of rice noodle top with shripm paste “chu cheong fan haw kow” and the fried oyster omellete “hoe chein” ……. gosh the food was delicious and inexpensive compared with Kuala Lumpur. Moving to Penang had started to play in my mind already . . . . next we headed to Subaidah just nearby to Tesco Extra/USM for teh tarik . . .. this place was very interesting because people just kept queueing up for the take away nasi lemak . . . . . got to say I really know why, the rice was freshly cooked and warm, the sambal was good and the fried chicken with herbs was gorgeous indeed.

DSCN0813

We stayed at my god brother’s condominium and this was the balcony view when we woke up in the morning at Penang Gold Coast, a panoramic view from the 18th floor. and you can see Pulau Jerejak just across too

DSCN0819DSCN0822DSCN0825DSCN0826DSCN0831

We woke up rather early that saturday morning as we had to start our baking classes at 9am. As it was on the way to the city centre we stopped by at Genting coffeeshop, Green Lane for so awesome delicious hawker food. This time we ordered mee jawa which was great and well balance taste, penang fried noodle “chaw kew teow” was very delicious , tasty “loh mein” and delicious hokkien “dark” noodle.

DSCN0834DSCN0832DSCN0837
DSCN0840DSCN0841DSCN0843
DSCN0842DSCN0844DSCN0845
DSCN0846DSCN0849DSCN0851

We started with the morning macaron class and we had a group of interesting students. All the macarons baked that morning when on so well, non of them cracked.

DSCN0853

This was a group photo of myself with Sid, Lingzie (my manager in Penang also the owner of http://www.lingzie.com/) and Ms Chong (the reporter from Guang Ming Daily) Yes I was interviewed by the Guang Ming Daily which was so fun and interesting although I was a bit nervous at first but Ms Chong really managed to calm me down with her interviewing expertise. :)

After the morning class we went for lunch on the invitation of Mr Lee the owner of the baking studio at Hong Yap Trading along Jalan Siam. Mr Lee brought us to Dim Sum Food Restaurant along Macalister Road and we were served with awesome delicous baskets of dim sum and a few main dishes.

DSCN0856DSCN0858DSCN0859
DSCN0863DSCN0864DSCN0866
DSCN0869DSCN0870DSCN0872
DSCN0875DSCN0880DSCN0883

We had prawn dumplings “har kau”, meat dumpling “siew mai”, fish ball “yee tan”, roast pork pastry “char sew kok” and prawn wrapped in beancurd “fu chok har kuen” as the entrees and came the main dishes, the assam steam fish which was so delicious especially the sauce, truely nyonya style only available to taste in Penang, prawns cooked in curry leaves “lye you har” and sweet & sour spare ribs. The lunch was fantastic and really truely Penang! After lunch we headed back for our next macaron class.

DSCN0886DSCN0891DSCN0893

The macaron class went on well as planned ! A well accomplished for the day!

DSCN0898DSCN0905DSCN0906

As for that night we went for dinner at Bayan Lepas. Sadly we did take any photo as everyone was hungry and totally forgotten about dear camera. After dinner we headed to Gurney Drive and visited the hawker centre there and we had fruit rojak, toasted dry squid and some drinks.

DSCN0907

The first day in Penang was fantastic, my students really rocked and the second day went on very well too. The second day will be updated on my next coming post . . . . Love Sunny Yaw

• 550ml jar of faith
    October 19, 2008 - 8:48 pm | Permalink

How wonderful! I’m beaming with pride for Penang! Unfortunately I’ll have to wait till my next trip to indulge in all that food! I think I’ll follow your food itinerary exactly!

• ck lam
    October 19, 2008 - 9:02 pm | Permalink

A very interesting work cum eating trip for you. Will try out the dim sum outlet as it is open recently for the morning.esevu

• CRIZ LAI
    October 19, 2008 - 9:14 pm | Permalink

Cool food adventure in Penang right? There are so many good hawker food around that you might not be able try all of them out. It’s a waste you did not try out the Chee Cheong Fun in Genting Cafe. It’s one of the best in Penang.

• squall
    October 19, 2008 - 10:15 pm | Permalink

wow…is penang food…
    my favorites…so miss the food and friend in penang~~~

• CUMI & CIKI
    October 20, 2008 - 12:52 am | Permalink

big boy’s oven BAKES.. plus EATS up penang! haha.. watch out, here they come:D

• allenooi
    October 20, 2008 - 7:43 am | Permalink

wow wow wow…..

u went to genting coffee shop but u didn’t order the chee cheong fun? oh… u just missed the best chee cheong fun in penang.

nvm, since u r coming again during december, must make sure u go and have it. :)

• veron
    October 20, 2008 - 8:19 am | Permalink

everything looks delicious and the macaron class looks like so much fun.

• Little Corner of Mine
    October 20, 2008 - 8:45 am | Permalink

How fun! And look at all the food you guys had eaten, so hor jiak looking man.

• white on rice couple
    October 20, 2008 - 3:19 pm | Permalink

Wow, what a feast! And I can’t believe with all the eating and baking that you do, you stay so TRIM and SLIM!

• Nic (KHKL)
    October 20, 2008 - 5:41 pm | Permalink

congratulations on the success of your classes, guys!!!

i’m envious of the yummy food you guys had in penang! i wanna go already!!! 😉

• Zen Chef
    October 20, 2008 - 8:37 pm | Permalink

Wow. i don’t know where to start!
    Nice pictures, great class.. and the food looks delicious as well. Looks like a great trip to me! Nice post. Thanks for sharing.

• kampungboycitygal
    October 20, 2008 - 9:12 pm | Permalink

im green with envy! so much of gd food in penang!

• suesue
    October 21, 2008 - 1:58 am | Permalink

Wow your Penang Makan Makan is much more terror than mine. Next time when I am there and you are there too must meet up for dinner or perhaps supper! hahaha

• Rosa's Yummy Yums
    October 21, 2008 - 2:25 am | Permalink

What great food, yummy! I’d love to go there and eat…

Nice class too!

• Jun
    October 21, 2008 - 4:53 am | Permalink

ah… penang.. my hometown… heavenly food… gorgeous colonial structures… reckless drivers @_@

• Beachlover
    October 24, 2008 - 12:05 am | Permalink

look like an interesting class and u guys have so much fun!makan,makan pix make me drooling now!