An Indulgance Journey For Durians . . . .

It was not easy to write today’s post as I had a totally with mixed feelings. I was down with fever in the morning at work and shivered for two hours in my room, ended up totally knocked out sitting in the pantry. At noon, I read about BBO’s interview with The Malay Mail(our local newspaper), it was very well written by Gabey Goh.(Thanks Gabey). Then came the bad news over the phone, a very close aunt of mine had informed me that she had lung cancer . . . . shit, niamah, how can this be, she is still very healthy . . . . she was crying on the phone, so was I. . . Once we ended the phone conversation, I quickly informed all my close relatives . . . I went to the clinic at 2pm for a check up and was referred to the specialist centre as the doctor worried that I might had denggi . . . gosh and end up 3 hours there, did my blood and urine check. I was fine, just fever and no denggi. Tonight my aunt sounded positive on the phone and she had relatives over . . . sometimes I just wonder how fragile we can be.

Lets get back to today’s post, it is the durian session this moment and plenty available. So with my friends we visited a durian farm along the Karak highway to Bentong which is about an hour drive from my place. There were plenty of fruit trees such as durian, rambutan and mangosteen.

Awalking

Walking up the durian farm can be interesting yet can be very exhausting.

Arambutan

Rambutans, a delicious white juicy flesh covered with a hairy red skin.

Amangosteen

My favourite fruit, mangosteen.

Aduriantree1

Aduriantree

Oh . . .. lovely fresh durain fruit yet still hanging onto the tree.

Adurian backpacker

Adurian backpacker1

The uncle who was carrying the huge ratan case had caught my interest. He will carry this case behind his shoulder and he will walk from each durian tree to another to collect the durian fruits.

Adurianflesh

Oh! the durian tasted awesome . . . delicious, fragrant and creamy too.

Afourwheeldrive

The farmers collected all the durians, put them at the back of their ford and ready to be transported to the wholesale market. Visiting such a farm can be very fruitful and ca be a very awesome experience . . . and yet you get to eat them fresh.

AdurianchocCale

We love to share this delicious recipe with you.

Chocolat au Durio Gateaux
(7inches by 7inches mold)

Chocolat Mousse

Ingredients
140gm Whipping cream
60gm Melted dark chocolat
30gm Egg white
20gm Granulated sugar
½ tablespoon Gelatin powder

Sponge cake(10mm thick)

Method
1. Place a layer of sponge cake into the mold(cake base).
2. Whisk egg white until foamy. Then, add in granulated sugar gradually and whisk until soft peak form.
3. Whisk whipping cream until soft peak form.
4. Melt the dark chocolat and pour it in the whipping cream and fold well with a rubber spatula.
5. Fold meringue into chocolat mixture and gently fold well.
6. Pour in melted gelatin into the chocolat mixture and gently fold.
7. Pour the chocolat mousse into the round plastic ring and refrigerate for 1 1/2 hours.

Durio Mousse

Ingredients
140gm Whipping cream
100gm Fresh durian
30gm Egg white
20gm Granulated sugar
½ tablespoon gelatin powder

Method
1. Whisk egg white until foamy. Then, add in granulated sugar gradually and whisk until soft peak form.
2. Whisk whipping cream until soft peak form.
3. Pour fresh durian into the whipping cream and fold well with a rubber spatula.
4. Fold meringue into durian mixture and gently fold well.
5. Pour in melted gelatin into the durian mixture and gently fold.
6. Pour the durian mousse on top of the set chocolat mousse, refrigerate for 1 1/2 hours.

Chocolat Topping

Ingredient
200gm melted chocolat

Method
1. Unmold the mousse from the mold.
2. Place a wire netting over a tray.
3. Place the moussecake on the netting and pour the melted chocolat over.
4. Chill the moussecake to let the chocolat set
5. Ready to serve.

I hope you will try this recipe as it will be a hit for durian lovers . . . . . for now Sunny Yaw & Sidney

Read more on BBO’s events:
Sweet Indulgence On The Net
Kingly Treat

Eating with The Big Boys

• Salt N Turmeric
    August 19, 2008 - 10:34 am | Permalink

oh gosh. another durian post! its a torture looking at the fresh durians and yet not being able to have them. :(

• Life for Beginners
    August 19, 2008 - 5:23 pm | Permalink

Oooh… that shot of the durian in someone’s hand: To. Die. For.

Just for a whiff of its lovely fragrance… :)

• Lyrical Lemongrass
    August 19, 2008 - 6:46 pm | Permalink

Any cake with durian will have my vote!! hehe.

• Nic (KHKL)
    August 19, 2008 - 7:15 pm | Permalink

hey guys, just wanna say congratulations on the features! yes, good food, good photos and good company! well said! ;D

• lingzie
    August 19, 2008 - 7:40 pm | Permalink

hey sorry to hear about your aunt. and hope you recover from the fever soon.

• Kitt
    August 20, 2008 - 12:04 am | Permalink

Such sad news for your aunt and you. I hope the farm visit helped lift your spirits a little.

Such delicious-looking fruit! Thank you for sharing your visit.

• Little Corner of Mine
    August 20, 2008 - 9:37 am | Permalink

What a fun day trip! Got to kudo the old man for carrying such a heavy load of durians! Thanks for sharing your durian recipe!

• Beachlover
    August 20, 2008 - 8:43 pm | Permalink

Hey bro!!.sorry to hear that you’re sick and your aunty bad news:(.Life is short right.Love your lovely fruit pic especially the creamy durian..I want some ,pleaseeeeeeeeee…I visit durian farm once…anyway,hope you feel better,,talk to you later:))

• Manggy
    August 20, 2008 - 9:36 pm | Permalink

Sorry to hear about your aunt, guys :( I hope she gets through this just fine.

Beautiful gateau you’ve made there!

• ICook4Fun
    August 21, 2008 - 4:31 am | Permalink

sorry to hear about your aunt. Hope she will feel better soon. You are killing me with all the pix of fresh durian and rambutans

• Girl Japan
    August 21, 2008 - 3:59 pm | Permalink

I’ll have to admit I never had fresh Durian but it sure looks delish…

• Terri @ A Daily Obsession
    August 21, 2008 - 7:37 pm | Permalink

wow, wish i could go to a durian farm too. tt’ll be like wonderland.

doesn’t the choc n durian flavors sorta cancel each other?..hope u r better by now. drink lots of water ya.

• Robb
    August 24, 2008 - 10:40 pm | Permalink

i love durians!! i haven’t eaten any since i came to kl (with zach) T_T can gimme 1 slice the next time you bake this?

• fatboybakes
    August 25, 2008 - 9:01 pm | Permalink

the recipe looks fantastic BBO. thanks for sharing!!! and that piece of durian, what is it ah? mau san wong ah? looks divine!!!

• March 15, 2010 - 11:10 am | Permalink

Hi

Durians looks yummy.
    I plan to visit a durian farm this weekend with friends.
    Could you give direction and contact no. tq

• Tanya
    July 1, 2010 - 8:39 am | Permalink

Hey, that’s my orchard you went to. How come i not aware? Anyway, the durian season is here again, best time to come is in mid to end July. cheers.