The Art of Cooking with The Teochew Master

TeoChewMasters1

Lai Po Heen of The Mandarin Oriental Hotel, Kuala Lumpur is now showcasing the China’s famous Teochew delights and flew in Master Chef Tony Gao from Guangzhou, China. On staurday morning, we were so delighted as we were part of the students in the MO Art of Cooking featuring Teochew cuisine cooking by Master Chef Tony Gao.

The class was awesome as we get to learn six different types of Teochew dishes such as the incredible combination platter, the aromatic pan-fried oyster, the mouth watering tai ji vegetable broth, delicious hand made twin ball, lovely fish noodles and sweetened honey potato and yam served with rasberry and chocolate sauce. I will be reviewing all the exciting recipes of Master Chef Tony Gao, at Big Boys Kitchen (RECIPES)

Chef&Us

It was an exciting Teochew cooking class that I ever attended myself and am looking forward for more cooking classes at Mandarin Oriental Hotel. The cooking classes here are a great bargain as it is priced at RM168++ per person inclusive of a light breakfast and lunch. The next cooking classes that I am looking forward to are the Affair of The Spies with Chef Chintan Pandey from Mumbai on the 17th May and also The Irresistibly Thai by Chef Noppakorn form Chiang Mai on the 21st June. I would advice to book now before there is no more sits left.

Love Sunny Yaw

China’s Famous Teochew delights at Lai Po Heen (1st to 10th May 2008)
For Cooking Class Reservation:
Please call The Mandarin Oriental Hotel: (603) 2179 8881

• sue
    May 4, 2008 - 1:38 am | Permalink

wow it must be exciting learning fm international chef..i am so interested in the thailand cuisine class ..a good idea to bring my mom along as well cause she loves cooking lol..how many are there in a class?

• Kitt
    May 4, 2008 - 12:31 pm | Permalink

What fun! I love that first photo of the dining chefs. I’ll have what they’re having!

• Imbi & Itchy
    May 4, 2008 - 6:25 pm | Permalink

the art of cooking teochew! sounds good as this is not a very commonly found class. can’t wait to see the actual post of how the class went!

• tigerfish
    May 4, 2008 - 8:04 pm | Permalink

I’m a Teochew and definitely like Teochew food. How about some Teochew steamed pomfret, goose-meat, 8-treasure vegetables ?

• daphne
    May 4, 2008 - 8:27 pm | Permalink

U must be so excited about this! I’m looking forward to seeing more teochew food frm u!

• suesue
    May 5, 2008 - 7:52 am | Permalink

Teochew foods, sound interesting. hahaha at last u post ur pic.

• Simon Seow
    May 5, 2008 - 4:03 pm | Permalink

Ah, it’s never ending learning in the art of cooking.

• Nic (KHKL)
    May 5, 2008 - 5:24 pm | Permalink

RM168 sounds like a good price…very auspicious too! 168 (fortune all the way…hehe)

• ace
    May 5, 2008 - 7:58 pm | Permalink

mmmmmmmm… those dishes you mentioned sound so gooood! i’m sure you learned a lot. it must be an interesting class. lucky you! =)

• beachlover
    May 5, 2008 - 10:07 pm | Permalink

wow!! you guys dine in Mandarin Oriental!!!.That 5 star hotel man!!..I’m so envy you guys.I like both your pix posing wt the cheg,look so good!!.I saw the food recipe over kitchen blog,look elegant!!.How come teochew food have strawberry sauce?.Sudah diversified or contemprory?

• Kenny Mah
    May 6, 2008 - 12:05 am | Permalink

I’m embarrassed to admit that all I know about Teochew cuisine is their porridge (which I love)… but I’m sure I’ll learn a lot more about it soon from your blog. 😉

• Dee
    May 6, 2008 - 2:17 am | Permalink

like your other reader (kenny mah) i too only know the porridge. sigh. can’t wait to read more :)

• Big Boys Oven
    May 6, 2008 - 3:23 am | Permalink

sue:
    It was so fantastic, it was like a dream! it was about 8 of us. :) yes, yes get your self and your mum registered! A treat for your mum on mother’s day!

kitt:
    hahahaha it was fun, sure come over to the mandarin oriental hotel,KL

imbi&itchy:
    yes not very commonly found class, that is why I register. Can see those recipes at bigboyskitchen!

tigerfish:
    I ate teochew cold fish for lunch that day it was so so awesome!

daphne:
    I was in heaven! got got i posted at bigboyskitchen

suesue:
    handsome right! me me & me

simom seow:
    you are so right bro!

nic:
    I need those fortune this year and year on!

ace:
    Oh! just register to those class and you will be so so lucky!

beachlover:
    don’t know eh! but I think they run out of vanilla!

kenny mah:
    now you had discovered the teochew cuisine! worth to try! or cook yourself recipe at bigboyskitchen

dee:
    available at bigboyskitchen! simple recipes to cook!

• Dhanggit
    May 6, 2008 - 3:55 am | Permalink

your lucky guys!! cant wait to read your posts on this!!have fun!!

• breadpitt
    May 6, 2008 - 10:38 am | Permalink

hope my next visit on u guys will able to serve me teowchew style steam fish ya……!haha

• Hamster