Kumquat The Petite Fruit

It was a great month of december 2007 as we can see a lot of winter fruits selling at the fruit stalls and kumquat is one of the seasonal fruit that caught my eye. I always thought that kumquat is a very sour little type of mandarin orange but oh boy, I was very very wrong. In fact kumquat is not sour at all, you can eat them raw just like eating an apple. This small petite yellow orangy fruit is lovely as it has a sweet unique orangy taste and smell. I alway make sure that I will keep some of them in my fridge as I like chewing them.

I was reading through my second book of Hidemi Sugino’s The Dessert Book, I spotted one of his recipe creation that I would love to try as I have them handy in my fridge, The Kumquat Compote. “Lovely and so desirable”. On the spot I know I definitely be able to use this compote to enhance those dessert. So lets do it!

Kumquat Compote (adapted from Hidemi Sugino’s The Dessert Book) Makes about 24 halves kumquats

200g (7oz, about 12) kumquats
200g (1 cup) granulated sugar
200g (generous 3/4 cup) water

1. Wash and pat dry kumquats. Remove calyces, and cut in half horizontally; pit with a fork.
2. Bring sugar and water to a boil, and add kumquats. Cover with paper towel, and cook over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside at room temperature overnight.
3. Reheat only poaching liquid to a boil an return over to kumquats. leaving overnight. refrigerated in a container up to 1 week.

I love these kumquat compote as they can be added into your baking, ice cream and many other dessert. In coming posts I will show you what I did with this gorgeous and lovely kumquat compote.

Love Sunny Yaw

• kennymah
    January 2, 2008 - 11:06 pm | Permalink

I remember a Jim Crace short story where kumquats were advertised as “pygmy oranges” to sell the exotic fruit to the ulu villagers, and then when they ran out of kumquats, they sold oranges as “kingquats” instead. Hahaha…

• tigerfish
    January 3, 2008 - 12:51 am | Permalink

After that almond cookies, you reminded me of CNY again with Kumquat! So, when are you making a kumquat cake ? 😛

• Dhanggit
    January 3, 2008 - 5:35 am | Permalink

happy new year to you guys!!! wishing you a much sweeter and ever delicious baking goodies for this year!!

i love your compote..and the kumquat looks really juicy..the ones we find here in france looks dry :-(

• Greg
    January 3, 2008 - 10:18 am | Permalink

Oh, I wish the kumquats in our market looked as fresh and nice as yours.

• Little Corner of Mine
    January 3, 2008 - 11:47 am | Permalink

Yes, what a lovely Kumquat compote!

• WokandSpoon
    January 3, 2008 - 12:22 pm | Permalink

Kumquat compote – so creative! All I eat all the time is apple compote!

• bigfish_chin
    January 3, 2008 - 1:45 pm | Permalink

Kumquat Compote ~ Lovely!
    Can also mix with Honey and make drink eh?!

• Nora B.
    January 3, 2008 - 2:52 pm | Permalink

I love kumquat and only discovered it later in life. I caramelised kumquat on top of my cheesecake once:

• Jackson
    January 3, 2008 - 5:30 pm | Permalink

wahh… i love kamquat too!!

• Precious Pea
    January 3, 2008 - 5:39 pm | Permalink

I thought Kumquat are summer fruits? My sis’s house in Melbourne got a Kamquat tree and it normally bear fruits in early summer. Love it as it’s so juicy and refreshing.

• MeiyeN
    January 3, 2008 - 8:47 pm | Permalink

i don’t think i ever had this before! must be nice.. where to get this fruit? would love to try making it myself!

*happy new year to you and sunny! may 2008 brings lotsa happiness, wealth, fortune and good health to both of you! =)

• beachlover
    January 3, 2008 - 11:02 pm | Permalink

Kam quat fruit?..Hmmm that mean CNY is coming!!.”kong hei fatt choy!!.I just bought a box of a fruit look like your kumquat…it’s made in Malaysia.Didn’t try yet..yeah…I’m looking forward your kumquat cake.

• daphne
    January 4, 2008 - 1:31 am | Permalink

wow. I can just imagine this with ice-cream or even base for creme caramel or panna cotta. NICE!

• Lyrical Lemongrass
    January 4, 2008 - 1:54 am | Permalink

Yummy! Kumquats! I can imagine the possibilities! Keep ’em coming!

• singairishgirl
    January 4, 2008 - 6:38 am | Permalink

Wow, that looks yummy. I never knew kumquat was sweet. Like you, I always thought it was sour.

• Ling's Passion
    January 4, 2008 - 7:54 am | Permalink

Thanks…now I know kumquat can be eaten fresh. All this while had the impression that they are sour like lime. Will buy some to try next visit to the market.

• wenching & esiong
    January 4, 2008 - 9:56 am | Permalink

Happy New Year to you!!

This looks pretty, but I wonder how it tastes like… Hehe…

• Zen Chef
    January 4, 2008 - 10:43 am | Permalink

Oh I love Kumquats!! I bet your compote is delicious, I take that on a buttered brioche with a cup of coffee. Yum! Perfect breakfast! :-)

• JOjo
    January 4, 2008 - 7:11 pm | Permalink

Happy Happy new Year!!!

Nice Kumquat compote, i haven’t seen them in the market for quite some time,it was my childhood fav! *time to hunt for kumquat*

• Imbi & Itchy
    January 5, 2008 - 4:52 pm | Permalink

Hi Sid and Chef Sunny :-) hehe, i was wondering if you know how long can this keep, say if I were to store them like jams. Thinking of making them for gifts lah :-)

• Nic (KHKL)
    January 8, 2008 - 8:59 pm | Permalink

hmm…never thought of that…well, it does have a mild zesty flavour to it…so, will be interesting to see what you’ll use this for in your next post…reading now! :)

• My Sweet & Saucy
    July 5, 2008 - 2:59 pm | Permalink

I love kumquats! They are so cute and remind me of when I was little and would pick them in my grandma’s backyard! Too much fun!

• Anonymous
    July 16, 2008 - 11:38 am | Permalink

i love kumquats too. First time I saw them, I thought it was another hybrid of lemons or oranges.Well, I was just a kid then. Saw lots of them during Chinese New Year at fresh market as well but my mom disallowed me to eat them due to possibilities of heavy insecticide spray to maintain the potted tree since its’ purpose for ornamental display… 😀

I tried to find that book by Hidemi Sugiro which is the only English-Japanese. May I know where can I buy it in Malaysia? Mph or Kinokuniya?

thanks