Dessert for "Dine with me….Chef Steven Cheng"

It was early monday morning, my mobile rang and Chef Steven was on the line, “Sunny please make dessert for thirteen guests this coming wednesday nite and also come over for dinner”.

“Dessert and dinner”, this is marvellous. I was looking forward for such dinner as I alway expect it to be great and delicious, but an invitation by the Chef Steven himself personally would be awesome.

Gosh….what should I make?…… I had been eyeing this lovely light cheesecake and managed to find this recipe given by one of my “sifu”(master) during my time when I was in the baking industry.

I decided to present this dessert individually, slightly bigger than a normal cupcake size. Having such a cake can be exciting by adding some topping just like cupcakes. So to make them a bit more glamour, hahahah….. “me talking now”, I dressed them with homemade vanilla pod custard, drizzled them with chestnut cream soba and finished them with a touch of pistachio nuts.

When I delivered the cakes for the dinner, I found out it was “Dine with me … Chef Steven Cheng”, gosh the dinner was incredible delicious and awesome. You know…. the guests like my cake and I noticed one of them even had two… hahahha. ………It was a great dinner that nite.

For more detail of the dinner, visit Big Boys Kitchen.

Love Sunny Yaw

• beachlover
    December 15, 2007 - 1:03 am | Permalink

oh!!cream cheese and chestnut paste.I always buy cake in chinese bakery here with chestnut filling.What a cute little cake!!..Hmmmm..I wish can order from you for my sister Birthday.

• JOjo
    December 15, 2007 - 1:24 am | Permalink

Hi Sunny, I’m a leisure baker when i’m back at home. Your cakes look absolutely lovely and yummy!

I love the background christmas song of yours. Mind if to share the title and artist with me?

• mº¿ºsh, brecht & nora
    December 15, 2007 - 6:24 am | Permalink

hi boys, just wanted to say that we hv added u on to our list of blogger friends = ) Thanks for adding our blog to yours too! Cheese cake in whatever form is simply to die for! yummy!!!! ; )
    Mush, Brecht & our daughter Nora

• wenching & esiong
    December 15, 2007 - 6:37 am | Permalink

Thanks for sharing this dessert with us the other day! It tasted so creamy and delicious! A good ending to the dinner the other day! Thanks so much!

• ai wei
    December 15, 2007 - 8:14 am | Permalink

thanks for the dessert! ^^
    i love it. and it was so yummy with the custard n chestnut. but then it was a bit bit heavy after the very full dinner. still, i like it very much!

it is so irresitable and i m thinking of the dessert now >.<

• Tartelette
    December 15, 2007 - 1:06 pm | Permalink

You just created a Mont Blanc Cheesecake! I was looking at your list of cakes for ordering and they all look fabulous!

• daphne
    December 15, 2007 - 8:55 pm | Permalink

niceeee. that’s a beautiful combination~ I like how your mind works in creativity.

• ~Christine~Leng
    December 15, 2007 - 9:14 pm | Permalink

This dessert was incredible! Chris and I love it too! Thx for sharing!
    Tho i was way full.. I just can’t resist this temptation! 😉
    I like mine with the candle on top! hehe 😉

• Precious Pea
    December 16, 2007 - 5:14 am | Permalink

So what was served for dinner??

• VeggieGirl
    December 16, 2007 - 5:45 am | Permalink

the individual-sized desserts that you decided to make for the occasion are brilliant!! so well-crafted!!

• singairishgirl
    December 16, 2007 - 5:50 am | Permalink

Oh wow, lovely. I saw the lobster at Steven’s. Yum.

• Tummythoz
    December 16, 2007 - 6:26 am | Permalink

Really *thum-sum* (beat heart action) that I cannot make it to dinner!! Arrgghhhh!

• Tummythoz
    December 16, 2007 - 6:30 am | Permalink

Err it was d same dinner I was invited, no? If it’s not, I shy-lor. (-_-)”

• Big Boys Oven
    December 16, 2007 - 8:44 am | Permalink

beachlover:
    oh you gave me some new idea… i can use those custard and chestnut cream for buns filling.

jojo:
    so what do you usually bake? great to know you llike our cakes, so now we have to work harder…lol!

The artist is Michael Bolton…an old christmas album.

mb&n:
    thank you for link urs. hahaha next time you come to KL lar, I make you cheesecake….”janji”.

wenching&esiong:
    great to know you like it, limited edition…hahahaha

ai wei:
    heheeh I know…everyone is so full.. but cannot resist the cake! lol!

tartelette:
    I didn’t know until you mention.***smile** great to know you like our selection.

daphne:
    thank you, have to work harder now.

christine leng:
    Happy Brthday!!!

precious pea:
    please visit bigboyskitchen.blogspot.com

veggiegirl:
    thank you.

singairishgirl:
    oh yes the local lobster was great centre piece and tasted delicious.

tummythoz:
    that was the dinner you had missed. never mind lar, I am sure we can persuade chef to do one later!

• Nic (KHKL)
    December 16, 2007 - 6:34 pm | Permalink

i love chestnut cream! sweetness of the chestnut + tanginess of the cream cheese…nice! your creation looks good and delish!

• Lyrical Lemongrass
    December 16, 2007 - 7:00 pm | Permalink

i’m sure it tasted wonderful. :-)

• Little Corner of Mine
    December 16, 2007 - 8:00 pm | Permalink

What a lovely dessert Sunny! Now I need to hop over to the kitchen to see what Chef Steven cooked!

• Zen Chef
    December 16, 2007 - 8:55 pm | Permalink

I love anything with chestnut paste this time of the year!
    And it does look like Soba noodles!
    :-)

• ? ? Alvin ? ?
    December 16, 2007 - 10:46 pm | Permalink

Looks really nice~ very creative and at pains work. Thumbsup!

• Dhanggit
    December 17, 2007 - 4:52 am | Permalink

its cream cheese with some chestnut right???its looks heaven!!! you are really talented boys in the oven hahaha!! glad your guests liked them :-) maybe if im one of the guests i would have taken home some :-)

• I Cook4Fun
    December 17, 2007 - 6:55 pm | Permalink

Sunny, those are such pretty little cakes. I am sure it taste really good. I really hope to get some lesson from you next year :)

• L'abeille
    December 17, 2007 - 10:56 pm | Permalink

Yums… how I adore your creativity! The dessert looks yummilicious..