Big Boys Oven’s Christmas Cake I

“Chempedak” Moussecake top with Chestnut Cream

I am sure by now you will ask me why this cake. …answer: I love local fruits such as rambutan, jackfruit, star fruit, mangosteen, mango, durian and many-many more that are abundance available in Malaysia. So for this festive season I picked “chempedak” , a local fruit which is a cousin of jackfruit. It is a lovely fruit, full of aroma, fragrant and comes with great gorgeous texture too. Therefore I choose the honey “chempedak” to create this incredible delicious mousse for the base of this cake.

I love chestnut also especially when they are stuffed in a baked turkey especially during christmas…. so yummy. During last christmas, I stumbled upon this great fabulous chestnut puree available at Bangsar Village supermarket but I only managed to get two cans and they were already out of stock. So this year I make sure I had enough of this chestnut puree well stock in my cabinet. So I decided to top this lovely chestnut spagetti puree on the “chempedak” mousse.

I also shaped this cake into a christmas tree, bordered with white chocolat and top with pink chocolat and mini pink macaroons and end this creation with a gold coloured ribbon.

This creation is available now and also for order. If you want to put your taste buds of this lovely moussecake or have it on your christmas dinner and celebration, do let us know on bigboysoven@gmail.com. It is available for RM40 /half kg and RM80/kg.

Hope this creation will lighten up your coming festive.

Love Sunny Yaw

• The artist princess
    December 7, 2007 - 3:18 am | Permalink

Wow, that is gorgeous, all that chestnut slirls, very beautiful. Unfortunately you are not in Singapore.

• Dhanggit
    December 7, 2007 - 3:58 am | Permalink

oh my gosh! my husband will love this.. too bad you’re based in malaysia..for his bday it could be the perfect cake :-(

• Big Boys Oven
    December 7, 2007 - 5:14 am | Permalink

the artist princess:
    Firstly we would like to say, it is an honour to have you visiting our blog and also posted a comment, we welcome you as you are our youngest visitor!

dhanggit:
    I know a lot of people will like this creation, for myself I love those chestnut puree! Maybe when we meet I will bake one for your hubby! :)

• Veron
    December 7, 2007 - 11:36 am | Permalink

oh wow chestnut and macarons. this is definitely a winner!

• Little Corner of Mine
    December 7, 2007 - 12:56 pm | Permalink

Oh wow, chempedak and chestnut cake, wonder how it tastes like! What a pretty creation too!

• tigerfish
    December 7, 2007 - 7:43 pm | Permalink

The swirl you made is like soba noodles! WOW!

• beachlover
    December 8, 2007 - 12:23 am | Permalink

Cempedak and chestnut flavor!! what a powerful combination flavour in both fruit….creative and gorgeous design..hmmm….how tall is that cake?.

• ai wei
    December 8, 2007 - 3:57 am | Permalink

wat an innovatiove creation! lovely, so lovely and i think u are the first coming up with cempedak n chestnut cake ^^

• singairishgirl
    December 8, 2007 - 6:19 am | Permalink

Oh, you are so funny. It was me who visited but logged in under the artist princess and only realized when I published the comment. Hahaha.

• Rita Ho
    December 9, 2007 - 4:52 am | Permalink

Very unique! This cake would have won the creativity award at any cake making competition here. Great job, Sunny!

• Big Boys Oven
    December 9, 2007 - 5:57 am | Permalink

veron:
    I like the combination! I am promoting macaroon…lol!

little corner of mine:
    The combination taste great, “chempedak” taste fruity and chestnut taste so nutty! lol!

tigerfish:
    So soba!

beachelover:
    half kilo cake is about 6inches tall.

ai wei: heheheh I am not sure about that!!!

singairishgirl:
    If you don’t tell me, I wouldn’t know, but not no longer a secret! :(

rita ho:
    Not sure about that, but we enjoyed doing research on our creation. I think this one is not bad! :)

• KampungboyCitygal
    December 9, 2007 - 7:12 am | Permalink

sooooo pretty!! good job sunny

• 1+2mom
    December 9, 2007 - 8:46 am | Permalink

Thanks for droping by to my blog :)

You have a nice and intresting blog, i like to see nice looking food. Will drop by often to drop some saliva here.

• Nic (KHKL)
    December 9, 2007 - 5:53 pm | Permalink

what an interesting combo! both rich and flavourful ingredients…very creative of you :>

• Joanna
    December 9, 2007 - 8:02 pm | Permalink

Hah! Seems that I’m the only person on this comment list thus far to say that I’ve been lucky enough to have had the cake ;p And guys, it was superb. Cheers to Sunny and Sidney for such originality. My family adored the design, but fell head over heels in love with the taste 😉 And of course no one but me got the macaroons either.. Love you guys, Love your cakes, Joanna.

• wenching & esiong
    December 9, 2007 - 11:13 pm | Permalink

Wow, another lovely creation of yours! The christmas song is really nice, I love this song so much!

• Sweetiepie
    December 9, 2007 - 11:42 pm | Permalink

Is it Cempedak cake have the same strong taste like durian?I can’t find a chestnut puree here.I like to eat chestnut cake.Nice creation..:)

• daphne
    December 10, 2007 - 2:51 am | Permalink

how pretty! it must have taken you ages to make this cake and plan it in your mind!

• Camemberu
    December 10, 2007 - 3:45 am | Permalink

Boys who bake? How interesting! Found your blog through Nic (khkl)’s blog. Ooh, love cempedaaak! Too bad I’m in Singapore (though a fellow Malaysian too).

• Big Boys Oven
    December 10, 2007 - 4:39 am | Permalink

kampungboycitygal:
    thank you and as pretty as you!

1+2mom:
    thank you for dropping by.

nic:
    I think they are great combo.

joanna:
    great to know that your family love the x-rated figurine on yhis cake…lol! I was also shocked that your mum also a macaroon addict :)

wenching & esiong:
    hehehhehe lovely right!

sweetiepie:
    chempedak has a sweet fragrant smell and durian has a strong stink fragrant smell. I think you should able to get chestnut puree in can in canada. Mostly are imported from france or you can get the dry ones from chineses supermarket and cook them then puree them.

daphne:
    this one did not take much time… but I have this in mind for some time, christmas was the best time to have it!

camemberu:
    Yes boys that can bake! lol! I guess you don’t believe me. lol! if you are back in malaysia, do drop by as we are in KL.

• wmw
    December 10, 2007 - 11:37 am | Permalink

wah…looks like soba, but this is one sweet soba :o)

• MeiyeN
    December 10, 2007 - 6:20 pm | Permalink

that’s new! cempedak with chestnut? cool.. though am not a fan of cempedak but i bet it gonna be a hit thing..