Almond Cookies

It had been a great year end of 2007, why? you may ask. Well I had a great time relaxing and had my nieces and nephew over visiting me. I just barely can cope with this young lads, they are so active and the most, noisy …… hahahaha, I guess we had done that once. I took them to visit all the shopping malls in town such as Pavalion, Curve, One Utama and Mid Valley. It was a jolly good time. So when this young lads were having their naps, I sneaked into my studio and make some cookies especially for them. They love nuts and I found some whole almonds in the cabinet. Without much thinking, I scopped some butter and my hands started doing the miracles…lol! Here is what I did:

Almond Cookies (30 pcs)

100g unsalted soften butter
50g icing sugar
1/4teaspoon salt
1 vanilla pod
30g eggs
120g cookie flour(sifted)
25g milk powder
40g almond powder
1/4teaspoon baking powder(sifted)
15g egg white
35pcs whole almond

1. Preheat the oven 180C. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Mix unsalted soften butter, icing sugar and salt. Beat until smoothly blended.
3. Add vanilla pod, eggs and continue to beat.
4. Add in cookie flour, milk powder, almond powder and baking powder.Mixing just until it is incorporated.
5. Put the dough in a bag and chill for 30 minutes.
6. Scoop the dough about 10g and make it into a ball. Place it onto the baking tray.
7. Once all balls are done, wash them with egg white and place an almond on them.
8. Top oven heat 180C and bottom 150C. Bake them for about 25 minutes. Switch off the oven and leave them inside the oven for another 10 minutes.

The young lads woke up and saw those lovely cookies on the dining table. Without asking for any permission, they just grabbed those cookies and started munching. My little nephew said “Oh so delicious, “siau-chew” (small uncle) can I take them all home and you can make more next time I come”. Hahahahaha….. maybe…..

Do try this recipe during this coming Chinese New Year. I like these cookies as they go very well with chinese tea.

Love Sunny Yaw

• beachlover
    December 30, 2007 - 12:43 am | Permalink

Lovely cookies!!can I have some??..what it this 30gm ehh…arg?..lol!!..I’m so use to american measurement!!..Gertrude,send me her yummy almond cookies too,she insert almond inside and coated choc on the top.Mishu just eat the top choc and whole almond inside ,left the dough for mummy!!..

• wenching & esiong
    December 30, 2007 - 1:22 am | Permalink

I love anything with almond, this should taste really good!

• KampungboyCitygal
    December 30, 2007 - 1:41 am | Permalink

i love almond cookies..especially those from macau..yumzz

• Precious Pea
    December 30, 2007 - 4:00 am | Permalink

Lovely! I am actually looking for recipes to bake some for this Chinese New Year. 2 questions:

1) Since it’s almond, does it have the strong almond (i hate the yucky taste) which you normally find in almond flavoured dessert?

2) Can I substitute almond with peanuts? If so, same amount?

• WokandSpoon
    December 30, 2007 - 4:27 am | Permalink

These cookies look lovely! Mmmmmmmmmmm. Happy New Year!

• Wiz
    December 30, 2007 - 8:26 am | Permalink

Yes siau chew, they look terribly good! I must control myself with all the sweet stuff you have here. You are not helping me much boys!

• mº¿ºsh, brecht & nora
    December 30, 2007 - 9:07 am | Permalink

u made almond cookies just like that? wow… u r so talented! hv fun with them… = )

• Little Corner of Mine
    December 30, 2007 - 10:03 am | Permalink

Lovely almond cookies! So fast gear up for CNY bakes already? LOL!

• Lyrical Lemongrass
    December 30, 2007 - 10:09 am | Permalink

My hands can do miracles too…with instant noodles. hehehe. Your cookies look lovely!

Happy New Year, guys!

• bigfish_chin
    December 30, 2007 - 10:54 am | Permalink

oh dear… how i wish i can bake those cookies!
    The Wedding Cake… ooooh Dear… look really NICE too!

• Sweetiepie
    December 30, 2007 - 6:41 pm | Permalink

wah!your nieces and nephew are so lucky to have you as an uncle ..happy new year to you and your family :)

• Nic (KHKL)
    December 30, 2007 - 8:10 pm | Permalink

kids say the darnest things…so, if they say it’s good, it’s really good! hehe…yeah, i agree that chinese tea goes well with the cookies…nice!

• Veron
    December 30, 2007 - 8:50 pm | Permalink

I love pastry that go with tea! Happy New Year!

• L'abeille
    December 30, 2007 - 9:29 pm | Permalink

Just wanna drop by to wish you a Happy New Year 2008! Yummmmmmmmmm Seng!

• Imbi & Itchy
    December 30, 2007 - 11:39 pm | Permalink

oh man, chinese new year is in the air already! everything is passing by sooo fast …

• Sue Sue
    December 31, 2007 - 1:15 am | Permalink

wah so fast you remind me about chinese new year. Those lovely almond cookies looks so good.

• team bsg
    December 31, 2007 - 1:37 am | Permalink

happy new year to the pro bakers and the whole gang !

from the wannabe eating pros

• tigerfish
    December 31, 2007 - 2:37 am | Permalink

My fav CNY cookies leh! Really. I love almond and sugee cookies.

Happy 2008!

• singairishgirl
    December 31, 2007 - 3:13 am | Permalink

Wow, just so simple to make cookies? Haha. I love them. Although I can’t take too much nuts. But would be lovely to try them.

• kennymah
    December 31, 2007 - 3:54 am | Permalink

I dontch know how to bake, but my Mom does! Here’s a good recipe to pass to her for CNY. Then my nephew and nieces will prolly ask her to bake more just like yours did, haha.

Happy New Year! :)

• Big Boys Oven
    December 31, 2007 - 5:52 am | Permalink

beachlover:
    Yes you can have some… soon once you landed in KL. Aiyoh! 30gm = ?cup.. lol!hahaha if you have mine, Mishu will do the same, so I beter just make them minur the whole almond for you lol!

wenching & esiong:
    thank you, two of you must sell for me argh! How many tins you want to book? lol!

kampungboy&citygal:
    I am *sob* *sob* now, you don’t like my cookies? lol!

precious pea:
    oh use my recipe lar! oh my recipe don’t have those strong almond essence smell, don’t use artificial essence lol! Yes you can put any nuts you want! but not so many type lar, if not we become nuts! lol! yes type put same amount.

wokandspoon:
    happy jolly new year

wiz:
    more to come love!

mush,brecht&nora:
    aiyoh not difficult mah!

little corner of mine:
    I told you oledi mah! so boring so I make cookies lor! lol!

lyrical lemongrass:
    heheheh I know you got miracle hands.

Bigfish_chin:

sweetiepie:
    thank you. Happy New Year.

nic:
    you making any this CNY?

veron:
    I love pastry! Have a jolly good 2008!

l’abeille:
    Yumm… Seng….can I have some of your champange?

imbi&itchy:
    oh girl! we do fast and furious!

sue sue:
    Thank you so much! When will you do yours?

team bsg:
    Happy New Year to you all!

tigerfish:
    you doing yours this year?

singairishgirl:
    hahahahha come and try some!

kennymah:
    you should try to bake some lar this CNY! We all of us taste we will definte want you to bake more! lol! Ask Meena, sure she agree with me!

• I Cook4Fun
    December 31, 2007 - 5:13 pm | Permalink

BBO, you are all gear up for Chinese New Year :) The almond cookies looks really good. Anyway, Happy New Year to the BBO team :)

• daphne
    December 31, 2007 - 5:54 pm | Permalink

wow. I would love to wake up to those cookies!

Happy new year too!!!

• Nora B.
    January 1, 2008 - 5:11 am | Permalink

Hi Sunny, no wonder the kids grabbed those cookies, they look so melt-in-your mouth yummy! You are such a good uncle :-)

Happy New Year!

• Carol Rode
    January 1, 2008 - 6:32 am | Permalink

These cookies look soooooooo GOOD, Sunny! Maybe I’ll try my hand at them this Chinese New Year. It’s such wonderful news that you’re going to do baking classes this year! ME TOO! Maybe next time you can come over to Perth as a Guest Baker! Hmmmmm.. I definitely see this happening in the future! A Happy and Prosperous 2008 to you and Sid!

• Nic (KHKL)
    January 1, 2008 - 7:16 pm | Permalink

haha! sunny, i can only cook savoury stuff. cookies are too difficult for me :)

• Sam
    January 3, 2008 - 11:50 pm | Permalink

Hi Love your blog. May I know what is cookie flour? Is that the same as plain flour?

• Sam
    January 8, 2008 - 9:31 pm | Permalink

Hey thanks. got your message about the cookie flour. I also found out that cookie flour = pastry flour. Unfortunately pastry flour can hardly be found. Fortunately I also found out that pastry flour = plain flour + cake flour in a certain ratio. LOL. Very scientific ah. Many thanks again. Your blog is an inspiration.

• [[[*-StAriE-*]]]]
    January 17, 2008 - 8:25 am | Permalink

hi would like to know if they’re those melt in the mouth sugee type? thanks alot! (:
    because have tried many almond cookies and i cant seem to find the right one that im looking for ): i like those melt in the mouth with almond flakes kind of taste.