I am truly a die hard fan of “Ma Lai Ko” or so called malay sponge cake. Usually you can get them with caramel but I usually opt using palm sugar or “gula melaka”. I like using palm sugar because of it’s fragant smell, the unique sweetness and taste. I always though making “Ma Lai Ko” is difficult but in fact is not a difficult thing at all, as Sunny Yaw always say “simple, fast and easy”, and it had proven to be true.
I always remember when I was a wee little kid, my late dad buys them for supper from this dim sum coffee shop next to his office right after his afternoon shift and not forgetting also those lovely egg tart and also those lovely fried noodles. If not mistaken the shop is called “Soon Fatt” right next to Telekom in Ipoh town.
1. Beat egg until bubble then add sugar for 10 minutes (till thick and white)
2. Pour egg mixture into a bowl fold in shifted cake flour and baking soda
3. Blend in palm sugar then the thick coconut milk
4. Cover and rest batter for 20minutes (to get the honeycomb effect)
5. Stir and pour into desire cups or moulds
6. Steam at high flame for 25minutes
I alway find that “Ma Lai Ko” to be eaten and serve while they are soft and warm. This gorgeous “Ma Lai Ko” can be served with ice cream too. Hope you will try this recipe in your own kitchen at your own time and pleasure.