Christmas Macaroons

I love making macaroons as I really enjoy eating them. They are really unique. Why? They can taste very different from each bakers. I love my macaroons thick, crispy on the outside and soft inside plus with chocolat ganache…. oh lovely & excellent.

When I started making this macaroons, it was like a nightmare as they don’t turn out well at all. They always collapsed and cracked. Most of the time, they turned out to be rather thin and hard, my nephew liked them so much as he can play with them, his flying saucers.

Basically the ingredient for making macaroons are rather very basic, almond powder, sugar and egg white. Yes a group of simple ingredients. Right very easy isn’t it? Gosh it is not that easy, the secret, lies on the technique of making them and also the ingredient used.

You need real fresh almond powder and you need to age the egg white first. You also need to know your oven well as you need to know how to control the temperature in order to make sure that the macaroons will not crack and also the macaroons will develop legs.

I really amazed with this person as she is so dedicated in developing fine and delicious recipes but also macaroons, she is my favourite baker, Veronica. If you need a few tips do drop by her blogsite. There is yet another favourite baker of mine who had tried making macaroons recently and did well, that is Carol.

So this time I decided to make some hazelnut macaroons after reading Veronica’s amazing macaroons and this is what I end up, lovely yellow and pink hazelnut macaroons. That yellow hazelnut macaroons are so thick that when you give it a bit, it is so crunchy, yummy and delicious.

I also baked some pink and purple macaroons for this coming christmas.

Love Sunny Yaw

• I Cook4Fun
    November 28, 2007 - 6:18 am | Permalink

Sunny, i just love your macaroons :) So pretty. I made it once but didn’t turn out well and never attempt to do it again. May I have a few of it :) :)

• Veron
    November 28, 2007 - 6:54 am | Permalink

Sunny, those hazelnut ones you made are so perfect with such high feet! I’m tickled pink to be your favorite baker. :) . I do notice that the quality of the macarons are better when the almond powder is fresh. Do you grind you own almonds or do you just buy it in powder form?

• sognatrice
    November 28, 2007 - 7:28 am | Permalink

So pretty! I saw Veronica’s series as well and someday I’ll work up the nerve to make these….

Also, you and your readers might be interested in a contest happening over at my blog (and the blogs of 4 others) to win a signed, personalized copy of Dolce Italiano by Gina DePalma, Executive Pastry Chef of Mario Batali’s Babbo in NYC.

We’re posting recipes from the book over two weeks and three are already up, including mine today:

Ricotta Pound Cake

You only need to comment to enter :)

• ai wei
    November 28, 2007 - 9:05 am | Permalink

those macaroons are soooooooooooooo pretty and attracting n tempting! how i wish i can have some!!!

• sue
    November 28, 2007 - 10:02 am | Permalink

yummy macs espeacially the yellow hazelnuts . Did u follow the recipe on veronica’s for the hazelnuts cause i would love to make them for chrismas.Did u used 100% ground hazelnuts cause she did a half an half of almond n hazelnuts.

Was it harder to sift the hazelnuts than the almond?

thanks

• Little Corner of Mine
    November 28, 2007 - 12:51 pm | Permalink

Lovely! Now I really need to try some macaroons!

• Nora B.
    November 28, 2007 - 1:06 pm | Permalink

Hi Sunny,
    Your flying saucer story is so funny1

These macaroons look so perfect! You definite and very far from your flying saucer days.

• singairishgirl
    November 28, 2007 - 5:34 pm | Permalink

So lovely. I love the purple and pink ones with ribbons, so beautiful and smooth. How about some cookie exchange. 😛 Just kidding!

• Nic (KHKL)
    November 28, 2007 - 6:22 pm | Permalink

i thought the hazelnut macaroons is a very creative idea! the pink/purple macaroons are very lovely made and packaged…will definitely bring cheer to the receiver :)

• Sue Sue
    November 28, 2007 - 6:28 pm | Permalink

I am amaze with the macaroons you made. So nice, and all come in a same shapes and size. Can I have one to try, pleaseeeeeeee. hihihi

• tigerfish
    November 28, 2007 - 11:15 pm | Permalink

They are definitely pretty, meant for all the ladies 😀

• MeiyeN
    November 29, 2007 - 12:11 am | Permalink

so pretty, it’s a great gift for xmas!!! 😀

• beachlover
    November 29, 2007 - 1:14 am | Permalink

wah!!..all the while I thought Macaroons is the cookies coated wt coconut..Sorry for my ignorance!hahaha!!..I like the color,so pretty:)

• ~Christine~Leng
    November 29, 2007 - 1:23 am | Permalink

great gift! so cute… and creative! with ribbons some more ;P

• daphne
    November 29, 2007 - 5:43 am | Permalink

wow! i would love to be able to make this. I’m not going to try till I finish this thesis! hahah. Since my first attempt (and failing miserably), I said that I will devote the time when I can concentrate. in the meanwhile, this post will continue to inspire me ;p

• lilyng
    November 29, 2007 - 6:56 am | Permalink

sunny

bet if i get some of these macaroons, i will be in seven heaven.

you have a lovely blog

• Rosa's Yummy Yums
    November 30, 2007 - 3:26 am | Permalink

Wow, your macaroons look ever so dainty and beautiful! Perfect! Great job!

• wenching & esiong
    November 30, 2007 - 10:48 am | Permalink

Wow, the macaroons look so pretty wrapped up with ribbons, especially the pink ones. All the hard work for doing this macaroons paid off! Good job!

• Gigi
    November 30, 2007 - 11:44 am | Permalink

Just lovely! I cannot master this technique. I think I will try your recipe. Lovely macaroons! [drool]

• East Meets West Kitchen
    November 30, 2007 - 12:49 pm | Permalink

OOOOlala! So pretty!

• Sweetiepie
    December 1, 2007 - 5:20 pm | Permalink

These macaroon so lovely,.Always fail in making macaroon.:(

• Imbi & Itchy
    December 2, 2007 - 7:33 pm | Permalink

i have tried making them twice, but it sure is tough! i do’nt know how to get the folding/mixing the batter right, nor do i know how to pipe it evenly and pretty like yours. not to mention, the almond powder and egg white quality. soooo difficult to make!

yours looked soooo good!

• Honey Star
    December 3, 2007 - 7:26 am | Permalink

My goodness, so pretty! Aiyo, the color, the texture the..the..the EVERYTHING looks amazing.

sigh…lil drops of heaven…. :)

• Kevin
    December 3, 2007 - 8:17 pm | Permalink

Your macaroons look really good. They are nice and colourful.