Where is the mermaid?

Before taking a shortbreak, I spend sometime wandering on what should I do with the chocolat moulds that I have. There are so many of them inside the box but what caught my eye was the seashell moulds. I had not give them a try yet and are still brand new. Therefore instead of making chocolat seashell, I decided to mould some sugar paste. I also moulded an angel with a pair of wings. With all these seashells and angels, I put them onto the fondant.

Once completing assembling them, they look so cute but the surface of the cake now looks rather empty. So I decided to make a mermaid as the centre piece of the cake and it turnout to be interesting and yet beautiful.

I also sprinkle some coloured icing sugar to make it look colorful. I hope you like this piece.

Love Sunny Yaw

• ai wei
    October 12, 2007 - 5:47 pm | Permalink

wow! amazing!~
    love the very very whitish and the mould-like structure of your cake!

• Kelly Mahoney
    October 12, 2007 - 7:14 pm | Permalink

What a beautiful cake. It reminds of the fact that my younger sister was terrified of The Little Mermaid when it was in theaters.

• Big Boys Oven
    October 12, 2007 - 8:06 pm | Permalink

ai wei:
    I also very surprise how white seashell and white fondant can have such effect to the whole piece of the cake.

kelly mahoney:
    you mean she was scare or love the the mermaid. :)

• beachlover
    October 12, 2007 - 8:19 pm | Permalink

wau lau…you’re talented and creative!! fishing for your own mermaid out of the sea!!.Usually here we can just buy the cake decoration in Party City or supermarket.I like the smooth surface of your white cake ..but but why white..sea supposed to be BLUE,no?.sorry I try to break your chop again.hahaha!! I wish I have 0.001 of your Kung fu:(

• New Kid on the Blog
    October 12, 2007 - 9:20 pm | Permalink

Awsome! Amazing! Wonderful! Unbelievable! …

That’s all I can think off!!!

• Big Boys Oven
    October 12, 2007 - 10:37 pm | Permalink

beachlover:
    Great to see you back on here :), Great also to hear you like it. Mermaid is nothing new, a lot of great bakers had crafted it. I like abstract design myself so I decided to have the whole cake white, in fact without the mermaid itself, the cake look so outstanding, just my opinion.:) but the top was so empty so I decided to do a mermaid figuring.

beachlover, it is not difficult to do marzipan figuring, just need patient and time, therefore not many bakers like to do such. The more you create the more well verse you be. I believe everyone can. :)

I am also planning to sell novelty cakes soon and I preparing them now and will be posted at bigboyscakes.blogspot.com

new kid on the blog:
    you sounded so funny, you just know how to cheer me up, today. really needed that. Thanks again for dropping by and pen your comments.

• ~Christine~Leng
    October 13, 2007 - 12:45 am | Permalink

very sophisticated! I love white~ pure and elegant;)

• wenching & esiong
    October 13, 2007 - 3:16 am | Permalink

wow, can’t believe that u made the mermaid all by urself! haha, the mermaid somehow looks cute to me! so talented!

• TBC
    October 13, 2007 - 6:42 am | Permalink

Thank you for stopping by my blog. It led me here:-)
    The cake looks absolutely stunning. You seem to be a fab baker!

• I Cook4Fun
    October 13, 2007 - 6:53 am | Permalink

What a beautiful cake. You are so talented. Are you taking any student. I want to learn from you when I go home next year :) By the way thanks for dropping by at my blog.

• Jun
    October 14, 2007 - 5:00 am | Permalink

so pretty~!! did u bake it for fun, or did someone actually requested for it?

• beachlover
    October 15, 2007 - 12:09 am | Permalink

BBO
    Thanks for your informations but I’m know nothing about baking,now just learning to differentiat what is powder cup and liquid cup.hahaha!!.I have one question,If I purchase from US ,can you send to my mom home in KL?.oh!what about the payment?.Do you take CCard or PayPal?.Just asking for future celebration.

• East Meets West Kitchen
    October 15, 2007 - 12:33 am | Permalink

What a fun, fun cake!

• wmw
    October 15, 2007 - 3:07 am | Permalink

That’s a sweet mermaid you have there…should make merman! :o)

• teckiee
    October 15, 2007 - 6:50 am | Permalink

hmmm.. actually i prefer it without the colours. maybe i just like those wedding like cakes… all white hehehe

• Big Boys Oven
    October 15, 2007 - 7:22 am | Permalink

wenching & esiong:
    I did it by myself, due to interest and dedication by sitting down by nailing my butt on the dinning chair with lots of patient. Creating sugar paste also need a lot of time even just making a a cake as it need to dry then only you can continue. Not like cakes where I can do a batch with 1-2 hours… but when you finish the sugar paste cake design, you will be so satisfied as money can buy when you see the creation that ou had done.

jun:
    Well, I had not create sugar paste cake for ages. When I step into the cake baking industry, which is about 15 yers ago, I was trained in sugar paste cake. So recently I just stop working for people and decided to start something on my own in baking with the encouragement of my pal, Sid. It was a big step, not easy and that was June this year.
    Most of the sugarpaste work that you see on bigboysoven currently such as the pastel batik design, the frogs, the piglets, the lion cub and mermaid were for internet viewers except the doraemon was requested by the cake lover for her son. But I will accept request and orders for novelty cakes which will be feature on bogboyscakes.blogspot.com very soon, sometime this week.

east meet west kitchen:
    heheheh… did you mean x-rated fun? …lol!

wmw:
    mei wan…. I know you dream of your chippendales!!!!…lol…is one of them looks like jackson abdullah?….somemore lol!

teckiee:
    yes, I like your proposal… I can imagine as it will look gothic…would it? but it is a real good idea, I think without colours woule look even better!

• Big Boys Oven
    October 15, 2007 - 7:24 am | Permalink

wenching & esiong:
    I meant, money can’t buy!

• Lyrical Lemongrass
    October 15, 2007 - 8:17 am | Permalink

love the white seashells! very pretty. :-)

• Big Boys Oven
    October 15, 2007 - 8:50 am | Permalink

oppsss sorry

christine leng:
    Big Thank You babe!

tbc:
    will stop by again on yours too.

icook4fun:
    Sid is asking me to teach….I was think about it…yes, will soon I hope, once the cooking studio agrees.

beachlover:
    For someone so special, I can bake and send it to you mum’s place. as for payment, we have yet any paypal but if you can get someone in KL to pay, don’t see any problem. beachlover, can I have your email address, need to sak you something personal! :)

lyrical lemongrass:
    hey babe, thank you for stopping by. your trip to UK really make me so homesick and the autumm is so lovely. did you try scone with clog cream?

• Cookie baker Lynn
    October 15, 2007 - 1:13 pm | Permalink

Lovely! I actually prefer it in all white. You’re so creative to think of using chocolate molds for fondant.

• Shionge
    October 15, 2007 - 9:48 pm | Permalink

Very very nice and she sure looks sleepy Sunny….what did you do 😉

• MeiyeN
    October 16, 2007 - 1:56 am | Permalink

like teckiee, i prefer it without colors.. white is so beautiful!!!!!!!

• Amanda at Little Foodies
    October 16, 2007 - 3:18 am | Permalink

I love things when they’re just white so I love the cake pre: mermaid. That said I love the cake with the mermaid too. You’re very talented!

• Angel
    October 16, 2007 - 8:43 am | Permalink

Wow this cake is gorgeous.
    I love both versions but the pristine white of the first one did catch my eye. Hehe your mermaid is adorable though.

• tigerfish
    October 16, 2007 - 12:24 pm | Permalink

The mermaid looks bored…or is she sleepy? How can she in the face of Big Boys Oven? 😛 …..I know, she must be getting too familiar with seashells environment in the sea, on land,and now on a cake!

• Oh for the love of food!
    October 16, 2007 - 10:21 pm | Permalink

What a cute creation – you’ll have all the little girls wanting one for their birthday parties!

• daphne
    October 17, 2007 - 1:49 am | Permalink

that’s a very elegant looking cake. I’m glad inspiration hits you with the mermaid! Fitted the theme perfectly!

• Veron
    October 17, 2007 - 8:22 am | Permalink

You do such amazing work! I love the little mermaid!

• Little Corner of Mine
    October 17, 2007 - 10:23 am | Permalink

Another beautiful creation! I also like it white & simple, more elegant!

• Big Boys Oven
    October 18, 2007 - 12:53 am | Permalink

cookie baker lynn:
    Next time I got to think much more harder! heheheh! yeah I got a lot of choc molds through collecting. but, buy and buy! :)

shionge: Eh! … Eh! don’t know, she must be tired.

meiyen:
    I notice that too… perfect white!

amanda at little foodie, angel, oh for the love of food & little corner of mine: Big Thanks!

tigerfsh: hehehehe…accidently in transition!

daphne: I think white is always elegant.

veron: I adore your work too!

• Mallow
    October 18, 2007 - 11:52 am | Permalink

I am so impressed – that is beautiful!

• Michelle
    October 19, 2007 - 8:29 am | Permalink

mermaid got big boobies..
    hehe.. i like. =P

• fatboybakes
    October 25, 2007 - 9:57 pm | Permalink

ooh, so clever. i also prefer it virginal white, without the colors.