The Fuleila Balls

It had been almost 2 months that I had not seen my mum and aunt, who happened to be staying in Ipoh and it takes about 2 hours drive from my place, Kuala Lumpur. So I decided to bake some goodies for them and fuleila balls was my choice. It is a crunchy type of cookies on the outer layer and soft on the inside. This type of cookies are dusted with icing sugar, and they will able to give you the coldness taste and feeling as you bite into them. Yes, they are lovely and defintely will be the perfect gift to someone you dearly love. I can bet all mums will love them. They can be beautifully packed and an ideal gift for this coming christmas.

softened butter 130g
powdered sugar 60g
grated almondpowder 50g
cake flour 150g
vanilla syrup (monin) 10ml
chopped walnut 40g
icing sugar for dusting

1. In a bowl, combine butter and powdered sugar until incorporated.
2. Add grated almond powder, cake flour, vanilla syrup and chopped walnut, stir until dough. Wrap by plastic bag about 30 minutes.
3. Divide dough into 6g for each small ball, bake about 23 minutes, upper and lower both 150C.
4. Dust icing sugar on cookie surface.

I love and really enjoyed having this fuleila balls with a cup of fresh illy black espresso. My mum and aunt did enjoy this fuleila balls and not forgotten the chocolat brownies that I baked recently.

Love Sunny Yaw

• mº¿ºsh, brecht & nora
    October 8, 2007 - 11:51 am | Permalink

Looks heavenly, will keep this in mind when we r baking our xmas cookies! Will miss your delicious blog boys! Till November then! tata for now.

• Kelly Mahoney
    October 8, 2007 - 1:50 pm | Permalink

Mmmmm, sounds delicious. I have a major sweet tooth.

• Shionge
    October 8, 2007 - 5:22 pm | Permalink

Hey what a wonderful ‘labour of love’ for your mom & aunt 😀

• MeiyeN
    October 8, 2007 - 9:19 pm | Permalink

wow.. your mom and aunty so lucky! good son and nephew you are 😉

• daphne
    October 8, 2007 - 10:53 pm | Permalink

oh gosh. this will hit a good spot with my sweet tooth!

• david santos
    October 9, 2007 - 3:25 am | Permalink

IT LOOKS FOR HERE: http://www.interpol.int/public/thb/vico/default.asp

Wanted: search for this man photographed sexually abusing children
    INTERPOL is seeking the help of the public to try to identify this man, photographed sexually abusing children in a series of images posted on the Internet.
    The photos shown here are from a series of around 200 pictures involving 12 different young boys, believed to have been taken in Vietnam and Cambodia in 2002 or 2003.
    These pictures have been produced by specialists from Germany’s federal police force, the Bundeskriminalamt, working from originals found on the Internet, which had been digitally altered to disguise the man’s face.
    Extensive police efforts worldwide to identify the man have so far failed and Interpol is now enlisting the support of the media and the public to help identify him as a priority.
    Anyone with information on his identity or whereabouts should contact their local police or INTERPOL’s Trafficking in Human Beings Unit via email.

• Veron
    October 9, 2007 - 6:03 am | Permalink

These looks like a delightful snack! I can just imagine how it tastes like with almond and walnuts in it :)!

• Cookie baker Lynn
    October 9, 2007 - 7:01 am | Permalink

What a great son and nephew you are to drive 2 hours to deliver homemade cookies! They look wonderful. I’m not familiar with vanilla syrup. Is there a similar product to substitute? Corn syrup + vanilla?

• wenching & esiong
    October 9, 2007 - 9:11 am | Permalink

i have not heard of this type of cookies before but really interested to try it out. i bet it would taste good!

• Big Boys Oven
    October 9, 2007 - 10:08 am | Permalink

mush:
    Enjoy your vacation! Don’t forget to drop by soon.

kelly mahoney:
    it is fantastic!…lol

shionge:
    oh they deserve to taste this sweetie!

meiyen:
    I think I am the lucky one!

daphne:
    WoW!

veron:
    well spot on,somehow we always able to imagine the taste by a glance. yes my masterchef!..lol

cookie baker lynn:
    Yes, you can use vanilla essence or vanilla pod. Vanilla syrup is available at gourmet coffee.

wenching & esiong:
    this cookies surprisingly taste rather good. Very refreshing and cooling!

• tigerfish
    October 9, 2007 - 11:19 am | Permalink

I think I have tried these before…but I did not know they were called Fuleila….is there other names to this ?

Lovely, big and round!

• East Meets West Kitchen
    October 9, 2007 - 1:00 pm | Permalink

Very nice effort on your part to bake such tasty cookies for your mom. I do a similiar recipe for christmas using ground pecans instead of almonds.

• SteamyKitchen
    October 9, 2007 - 6:05 pm | Permalink

What a good kid to bring Mom cookies!!

• ai wei
    October 9, 2007 - 7:09 pm | Permalink

interesting. first time heard of this. will it be hard to bake them?

• Oh for the love of food!
    October 9, 2007 - 9:07 pm | Permalink

Hey Sunny! what a filial son you are, your mom must be so proud of you. I have not tried these cookies before. Are they chinese in origin?
    I must catch up with reading your previous posts, I’ve been busy with the kid’s school holidays but I managed to put up a post today on my Chiang Mai trip. It was really time consuming as there are so,so, many pics and i had to resize them one by one!

• ~Christine~Leng
    October 10, 2007 - 1:17 am | Permalink

so sweet of you! and what a cute name! have not had these b4.. sounds delicious!

• Jun
    October 10, 2007 - 6:19 am | Permalink

dude! i’m lost as to which blogs of urs to say hi ;P wat’s fuleila btw?

• beachlover
    October 10, 2007 - 11:45 am | Permalink

what a cool name for cookies:)you’re really a ‘hor chai” make cookies for mom and aunt,I wish my mom is nearby.Most of the time my mom cook for me..hahaha!!

• beachlover
    October 10, 2007 - 11:47 am | Permalink

Sunny,anyway,where is your Cafe Ole located in KL?

• Little Corner of Mine
    October 10, 2007 - 4:39 pm | Permalink

It’s like the Mexican Wedding Cookies we called it here. This cookie is served during Christmas too!

• Jackson
    October 10, 2007 - 5:56 pm | Permalink

hmmm..nevr try this before…*hint hint*

• Big Boys Oven
    October 11, 2007 - 9:14 am | Permalink

tigerfish:
    not sure if there are other names but there are so many similar version.

east meet west kitchen:
    I guess as sons and daughters we have to. Most recipes are similar somehow.

steamykitchen:
    hehehe…our reponsible as sons and daughters.

ai wei:
    it is not to had to bake

oh for the love of food:
    Not sure the origin, have to double check. I love your Chiang Mai trip. Can’t wait to read more about it.

christine leng:
    very delicious I myself had only one.

jun:
    any blog wll be fine

beachlover:
    I can understand such situation. My mum and aunt usually get to taste our new creation if we got home. ole cafe do carry out cakes but onley a small range, better to contact us directly.

jackson:
    You always get to taste!…lol

• FireHorse
    October 11, 2007 - 6:40 pm | Permalink

You are such a nice guy to do this for your mom and aunt.

• teckiee
    October 11, 2007 - 9:38 pm | Permalink

hm.. my oven cannot cannot bake even cakes… but i think since this is small.. i can arrange them at the equal areas…hmm. can do can do

• Truffle
    October 12, 2007 - 12:17 am | Permalink

They do sound like a wonderful Christmas gift. I bet your mum was delighted!

• Nic (KHKL)
    October 12, 2007 - 11:30 am | Permalink

Looks good…kinda reminds me of the russian tea cakes.

• Big Boys Oven
    October 12, 2007 - 8:23 pm | Permalink

firehorse:
    Have too as a son.

teckiee:
    You can babe!

truffle:
    We think so.

nic(khkl):
    really! never seen one yet