DO IT YOURSELF (DIY) DESSERT

I am sure you are very eager by now, waiting patiently for my tiramisu, but before that I would like to invite you to view The Ho Chak! TV8 program (Ho Chak! 5 – Episode 5 – Part 1) which had featured Chef Steven Cheng and his mini Buddha jump over the wall (mini futt till cheong), myself and sidney were also interviewed.

The picture below is not the mini Buddha jump over the wall dish but it is an extra large Xiu Long Bao (oppssss…..) which I saw and captured through my lense while I was at the Kuala Lumpur newest shopping mall, the Pavalion. It is really exciting and really can’t imagine sipping the soup inside of the dumpling through using a straw. Well, it will be even more exciting if a dessert can be eaten that way using a straw sipping all the great juices and continue eating and enjoying them.

So what is the most best dessert that can be eaten the same way as this huge Xio Long Bau? What came into my mind was this dessert called Tiramisu, but how should it be done? Therefore let us explore and see how we can enjoy having the similar thing but as a dessert.

Things that needed would be a good cup of espresso, coffee syrup, sponge cake, tiramisu cream and a good container to hold this exciting and delicious Tiramisu. The Tiramisu container that I used is this illy tappered glass as shown below.

Make some good brewed espresso according to your taste and set it aside, but as usual I use illy espresso coffee. You can get a tin of illy espresso coffee powder about 150gm for RM23(USD6) at Isetan, KLCC.

Making Tiramisu Cream

Whipping cream 120ml
Egg yolks 35g
Sugar 40g
Sweet Marsala 45ml
Mascarpone, softened 110g

1. Get the tappered glass ready before beginning preparation
2. Whip the whipping cream to soft peaks. Cover and reserve under refrigeration.
3. (Sabayon) Combine egg yolks, sugar and marsala in a stainless steel bowl and whip together until thoroughly blended. Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water and heat, whisking constantly, until the moisture is thick and foamy and has reached at least 165F/74C.
4. Remove from the heat and whip, using an electric mixer fitted with the wire whip attachment, on high speed until cool.
5. Fold the egg yolk mixture into the mascarpone. Gently blend in approximately one-third of the reserved whipped whipping cream. Fold in the remaing whipped whipping cream.
6. Immediately pipe or spead into prepared tappered glass which contained espresso coffee and sponge cake.

Sponge Cake

Espresso and sponge cake with coffee syrup are assembled into the illy tappered glass. Once done, pipe the Tiramisu cream into the the illy tappered glass and finish it with a dust of chocolat powder and snow sugar. Cover and refrigerate until completely set.

Once the tiramisu is chilled, you just need a straw and a teaspoon. Plunge the straw into the tiramisu and start sipping the chilled espresso and start digging into it. It is really fantastic and for myself, I just can’t stop enjoying having them and hope that goes same with you too.

Love Sunny Yaw

• babe_kl
    October 4, 2007 - 4:24 am | Permalink

wow you guys are very creative leh! too bad i cant take coffee :(

• Cynthia
    October 4, 2007 - 1:55 pm | Permalink

This is a show stopper.

• Nora B.
    October 4, 2007 - 2:28 pm | Permalink

wow, that’s such a fantastic idea! I’m glad that you didn’t make us wiat too long 😉 The Illy glass you picked was perfect for this. If you sold this at a restaurant, I am sure that it will be very popular. It’s almost like a cocktail.

P/s: that is an amazingly large bao!

• tigerfish
    October 4, 2007 - 2:37 pm | Permalink

Woooo…I ABSOLUTELY LIKE THIS! Using that straw for the chilled espresso in the tiramisu. This will be a block buster tiramisu.

Errr….some kind of chewy coffee pearls for more bite ? The straw in XLB reminds me of bubble tea, so I’m thinking of some bubble tea element in your tiramisu. :)

• "Joe" who is constantly craving
    October 4, 2007 - 10:29 pm | Permalink

i thought some of them tried something similar..a tiramisu drink at jln bangkung..u guys came up with the idea??..

• MeiyeN
    October 4, 2007 - 10:31 pm | Permalink

oh wow…. very nice glass… i want that glass :p

• Precious Pea
    October 4, 2007 - 11:51 pm | Permalink

Interesting…but sadly, i don’t have passion for baking. So i rather buy it from you. LOL! For sale ar?

• mº¿ºsh, brecht & nora
    October 5, 2007 - 1:18 am | Permalink

thanks for sharing this boys! It looks like a work of professional art! Hv a great weekend ahead! Cheers = ) (Mush)

• wmw
    October 5, 2007 - 8:34 am | Permalink

Looks different from the one at The Attic…looks good too. Nice!

• sc
    October 5, 2007 - 8:40 am | Permalink

thanks for sharing! looks amazing! and i love illy coffee, bet it tasted wonderful

• ai wei
    October 5, 2007 - 9:57 am | Permalink

Creative and the glass is lovely cute. and thanks for sharing up the recipe. i am wondering if able to success in making tiramisu?! looks tough!~

• Big Boys Oven
    October 5, 2007 - 7:22 pm | Permalink

babe_kl:
    try to be one. :)

cynthia:

nora b:
    I hope you will like it, it is simple and very presentable.

tigerfish:
    Great isn’t it. Can drink and can eat at the same time.

joe: I think there are different.

meiyen: Can buy from Illy…. there are opening an illy cafe at pavilion.

precious pea:
    for you, yes we sell! …lol

mush:
    Boleh cuba kat sana recipe ini!

wmw:
    Shud try them!

sc:
    I love them so much, and I always have some in my fridge just like my cookie jar.

ai wei:
    Do try when you have the time!! If I can do it, I am sure you can!

• Jackson
    October 10, 2007 - 5:55 pm | Permalink

hehe… this is a very creative idea

• Amanda at Little Foodies
    October 16, 2007 - 3:15 am | Permalink

I’d love one of those right now!