Maple Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies

Big cookies are always my favourite type of midnight and coffee break snack. I always love them chewy and big and they are called big chewy cookies. I also found a shop in KLCC called Bakin’ Boys which also sells big cookies. They have many varieties such as solitair, cranberry basket, coconut cabaret, the double decker dream, the praliner, the babanut, the martian fellow, white socialite, the milkman meltdown and also orange ovation.

Big chewy cookies are formed by several simple methods. Many of them are members of the familiar drop cookie family, made by dropping scoops or spoonfuls of dough onto baking sheets. Several others are made by rolling the dough into balls or logs. Logs are usually cut into slices after they bake.

When deciding whether or not a chewy cookie is done, take the short route: underbaking rather than overbaking is the way to go. if baked a few minutes too long, chewy cookies can dry out and lose their soft texture. Baking them a minute or two less only makes them more chewy. These are the cookies you want to slip into lunch boxes, pack into picnic baskets, take to a potluck, leave on the counter for anytime-of-day snacks, or send off in the mail.

As for today’s post, I would like to share with you my favourite BIG CHEWY COOKIE, Maple Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies adapted from Elinor Klivans’s BigFatCookies. I had tried this recipe and really can tell you that…. they are so gorgeous, so chewy and so delicious.

Oatmeal cookies that are crisp on the outside and soft on the inside are a classic that never goes out of style. This cookies enhances the perennial favourite with maple syrup and plenty of dried cranberries.

1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 cup unslated butter, at room temperature
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups oatmeal(not quick cooking)
1 1/2 cups dried cranberries

Position a rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Sift the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon into a medium bowl and set aside. in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until smoothly blended, about 1 minute. Stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl as needed during mixing. On low speed, add the eggs, maple syrup and vanilla and mix until blended, about 1 minute. mix in the flour mixture to incorporateit. mix in the oatmeal, then the cranberries.

Using an ice cream scoop or measuring cup with a 1/4 cup capacity, scoop mounds of dough onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing the cookies at least 2 1/2 inches apart. (Optional: place a fresh cranberry to top of each cookie)

Bake the cookies one sheet at a time until the tops feel firm and the tops and bottoms are lightly browned, about 18 minutes. Cool the cookies on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then use a wide metal spatula to transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.

The cookies can be stored in a tightly covered container at room temperature for up to 4 days.

I had tried this recipe and love it! ….. I guess it is about time for you try it too.

Love Sunny Yaw

• ~Christine~Leng
    September 12, 2007 - 4:28 am | Permalink

even the addressed name of the cookies attracts me so much :) Can I have some?? free tasting available?? hehe…

• SteamyKitchen
    September 12, 2007 - 4:52 am | Permalink

That is ONE HUGE cookie!

• wmw
    September 12, 2007 - 6:48 am | Permalink

Lovely cookies! I love ’em, get my Raisin and Oatmeal cookies from Lemon Garden! They are delicious! I bet these are too! Haven’t tried a maple cranberry oatmeal variety before.

• Kelly Mahoney
    September 12, 2007 - 8:02 am | Permalink

Looks delicious and that’s a lovely storage container, too.

• ai wei
    September 12, 2007 - 10:09 am | Permalink

Can i have one?!?!?!?! this is really attractive. maybe one is not enuff for me da cookie-lover~

• tigerfish
    September 12, 2007 - 2:51 pm | Permalink

I like big cookies for the fact that I can keep on munching on that cookie and it looks as if it’s never going to end. But I do love mini cookies too for the fact that I can keep on taking handfuls from cookie jars and not know when to end as well!

• Big Boys Oven
    September 12, 2007 - 5:39 pm | Permalink

christine leng:
    aiyoh! You definitely cannot have my cookie jar…. but I can spare you one, if you behave yourself…lol

steamykitchen:
    and you a one HOT and TOUGH cookie….. lol

wmw:
    Lemon Garden…. there are just next door my office….they have marvellous desserts…. mcoc is lovely crunchy outside, chewy inside, cranberries are lovely too.

kelly mohoney
    they taste lovely too, do try those cookies recipes.

ai wei:
    can….can… if you too behave yourself……lol

tigerfish:
    hehehehe…you are a real die hard cookies fan like me!….lol

• daphne
    September 12, 2007 - 6:28 pm | Permalink

wow. that’s a huge cookie! and it looks great too!

hey-do they have crispy cookies inside the book?

• teckiee
    September 12, 2007 - 8:34 pm | Permalink

I buy from bakin boys a lot.. esp when i want to treat my colleagues to snacks. But something that RM3+ for a cookie kills the wallet.

• Big Boys Oven
    September 12, 2007 - 10:01 pm | Permalink

daphne:
    don’t think they have crispy cookies in that book….usually thin cookies and overcooked cookies are crispy.

teckiee:
    You can order from us now….lol

• MeiyeN
    September 12, 2007 - 10:05 pm | Permalink

oh….that’s a big cookie! never tried anything like that before… maple cranberry oatmeal.. sounds so appetizing hehehe..

• KampungboyCitygal
    September 13, 2007 - 12:00 am | Permalink

bring it out for our next food tasting session ya 😛

• Big Boys Oven
    September 13, 2007 - 12:05 am | Permalink

meiyen:
    I lurst for them so much….. they are definitely lovely….

kampungboycitygal:
    I will bring some other cookies…this one oledi finished, jackson’s fault…..lol

• daphne
    September 13, 2007 - 1:21 am | Permalink

thanks!! I think those cookies that u made looked like those serve in cafes! I have been having difficulty finding those.. and yours sounds like it!

• Jackson
    September 13, 2007 - 5:31 am | Permalink

hey… that looks like a trade mark for Nipple joe…hehe

• Truffle
    September 13, 2007 - 5:57 am | Permalink

I love a big chewy cookie too so this sounds wonderful.

• Xiu Long Bao
    September 13, 2007 - 8:37 am | Permalink

I also want!!! Can we have durian cookies :p haha…I’m just being nottie.

• Little Corner of Mine
    September 13, 2007 - 3:47 pm | Permalink

Oh, I love a crispy yet chewy cranberry oatmeal cookie too! :)

• Big Boys Oven
    September 13, 2007 - 8:08 pm | Permalink

daphne:
    yes, yes go and buy the book now and try them out.

jackson:
    lol….sounds like it….the red nipple!!

truffle:
    me too….. I luv big chewy crispy cookies

xiu long bao:
    erh….. durian cookies?

• Big Boys Oven
    September 13, 2007 - 8:19 pm | Permalink

little corner of mine:
    wah…. you also love them…., they are truely good stuff.

• Nora B.
    September 17, 2007 - 2:11 pm | Permalink

Your cookies look great – I love big cookies! I think maple and cranberry goes so well together.

• Mallow
    September 18, 2007 - 9:13 pm | Permalink

I’m starting to work my way through that book too! I’m glad to hear that the cranberry oatmeal cookies passed the test! (I will be posting about the coconut washboards tomorrow!)