Macaroons

It was a love story. Love at the first sight when I had my first bite of a macaroon. Sid bought a box of them from Shangrila Hotel right next door of his office at Jalan Sultan Ismail. It was such an incredible piece of cookie, crunchy from the outside and chewy from the inside, fascinating and fantastic. They are the jewel of cookies. I had tried the one from Bakerzin, but theirs were rather soft and do not have that layer of crunchiness and were easily breakable.

It had been more than a year now that I had embarked to bake these jewel macaroons. We had hunted for these recipes from many cookbooks to cookbooks and especially those french written. Each time we tried to bake them and each time we failed, totally hopeless and restless.

Why?…. Most of the time we end up having flat macaroons just like little flying saucers. There were countless of these cookies end up in the bin. It was just like a baker who can’t bake and ain’t a baker!!!

We then stumbled upon some great japanese recipes on macaroon and had tried them, they really work. At the end we had mastered the art of making macaroons. You really need to treat them like you own, if not ,the chances of them to work will be really very slim. You need to pamper them and even talk to them…hehehehehe!

Here I got to say you need to be very alert when combining the ingredients especially during the pre baking. Also need to be alert during baking too, wrong temperature will end up having them cracked or uncooked as just what we encountered before.

We also found this japanese-chinese translated book on macaroon recently at Kinokuniya book store in KLCC. It is only at RM38 and this book is currently on 20% discount with the purchased of one other book. We find this book very well written with such great details, funny, helpful and packed with photos and instruction. We love it. It will able to medicate all your macaroon fever.

Macaroons posts also can be found at: boo_licious and veron.

Love Sunny Yaw

• KampungboyCitygal
    August 20, 2007 - 2:48 am | Permalink

sometimes a simple dinner will do, when ur with someone that u feel most comfortable with

• Big Boys Oven
    August 20, 2007 - 2:58 am | Permalink

kampungboycitygal:
    Hmmm… what was that about? …hehehhe

“Don’t need to eat also can if you are with someone that you are really in love with”

• Celestine
    August 20, 2007 - 4:37 am | Permalink

ryc: sorry, whats cool? :)

• Jackson
    August 20, 2007 - 7:00 am | Permalink

so, when can we try that???

• Kelly Mahoney
    August 20, 2007 - 8:52 am | Permalink

Ohy my goodness what a great green color. It’s so vibrant.

• boo_licious
    August 20, 2007 - 9:15 am | Permalink

Ah, I’ve flipped through that cute little book. U must make the rippled one which was so unusual in that book.

• Cynthia
    August 20, 2007 - 5:24 pm | Permalink

Ouuuuu, green macaroons, so they are tempermental huh? and need a lot of TLC and attention… I guess I’ll have to try them at a time when I have enough patience :)

• daphne
    August 20, 2007 - 6:36 pm | Permalink

those little gems are so hard to make and u did it!!!!! (i failed miserably the last time round.. and hv no guts to attempt again yet).

The cover of the book looks great too.. simple yet functional! hehehe.

• Precious Pea
    August 20, 2007 - 7:01 pm | Permalink

I never tried that before…quite curious how it taste like.

• Big Boys Oven
    August 20, 2007 - 9:44 pm | Permalink

jackson:
    Once out from our oven. hehehehehe

kelly:
    That one was a flopped greentea macaroon. the one in pink and white is a macaroon.

boo_licious:
    Oh yes, we saw a LOVE shape macaroons in that book. She is a real charmer.

cynthia:
    Do try them out. Don’t forget to let us know of your findings.

daphne:
    I definitely recommend this particular book. I think this book is great.

precious pea:
    Taste sweet, chewy and crunchy. yummy.

• ling239
    August 21, 2007 - 3:01 am | Permalink

looks like “gasing” to me…
    when will they be up for ordering pls ? ^_^

• teckiee
    August 21, 2007 - 7:31 pm | Permalink

aie.. my colleagues took the macaroons.. i didnt get to try =(

• Big Boys Oven
    August 21, 2007 - 8:52 pm | Permalink

ling239:
    You can order but need at least 3-4 days notice in advance.

teckiee:
    Hehehehe we decorated your mango moussecake with those lovely pink macaroons. We will put more macaroons the next time. LOL

• Veron
    August 22, 2007 - 5:54 am | Permalink

I’m going to tackle them macaroons again soon. Yours look perfect. So I guess I need to look for a Japanese recipe? But I don’t read japanese!boohoo!

• wmw
    August 24, 2007 - 11:21 am | Permalink

Macaroons! Love them…just eat them, dunno how to bake ’em. Hee hee..

• Big Boys Oven
    August 25, 2007 - 12:48 am | Permalink

wmw:
    You got to try ours…. you will drop!!!… lol

• ParisBreakfasts
    July 8, 2008 - 2:30 am | Permalink

Fun post!
    what I would give to find that book in New York!
    Or anywhere for that matter.
    Your photos of macarons are FABULOUS! All I do is mostly paint macarons..oh and eat them. I have yet to make them outside a class at Lenotre :(
    wonderful blog

• Girl Japan
    August 20, 2008 - 4:23 pm | Permalink

I’ve tried one- it came out pretty lovely but I LOVE macha Macaroon… would you post the recipe you used?

• Terry
    January 11, 2009 - 6:59 pm | Permalink

I have been dreaming of macaroons since I viewed your website. Lovely! You mentioned that you will need 3-4 days advance notice for orders. How do you charge them e.g per gram? And do you have a bakery shop?