A Piece of Art – Matcha Cheesecake

Matcha or japanese green tea had been always the centre of our attention due to it’s unique flavour and colour. We had been toying the idea to infuse matcha with cream cheese lately and had embarked into baking this matcha baked cheesecake with oreo, rice crisp and red bean base. As matcha is an oriental japanese ingredient we decided to bring in an oriental influence designed by turning the cake into a piece of oriental modern art. We used colours and lines to bring the design out from the cake and also smearing the surface with matcha powder.

For the finishing, we utilised deep green slices of pistachio nut to create small flowers on the surface of the cake then glaced the surface with apricot jam.

A unique piece of matcha cheesecake with a twist of modern oriental art.

With Love, Big Boys Oven

• teckiee
    July 21, 2007 - 4:03 am | Permalink

hmm is it me.. or is the designer looking cheese cake post missing?

• Lee Ping
    July 21, 2007 - 8:38 am | Permalink

BigBoysOven,

Your cheesecake looks very homemade…. Is the touch brown on one side of the cheesecake from baking or from “brown” food coloring?

A few days ago, I attempted Green Tea and Red Bean Swiss Roll. I was inspired to make this type of Swiss Roll from the link you gave me earlier.

Cake was Green Tea flavored. The filling was non-flavored whipping cream with bits of Red Beans.

The cake tasted great but the cream was blend. Obviously, with a handful of sweet whole Red Bean, the cream was still not tasty enough. Do you have a suggestion to enhance the flavor of the cream? What type of essence can go well with Red Bean?

• Kelly Mahoney
    July 21, 2007 - 11:06 am | Permalink

Mmm, I love cheesecake, but I usually eat it with some kind of sauce. Great work!

• tigerfish
    July 21, 2007 - 5:16 pm | Permalink

How is the resultant flavor ? I imagine it will be still mainly cheesecake, with a tint matcha flavor.

• Big Boys Oven
    July 21, 2007 - 8:49 pm | Permalink

teckiee:
    bigboysoven was trying to be artistic.

lee ping:
    bigboysoven cakes can be homemade and also can be design commercially. the browning was not control and our current home oven has an uneven temperature distribution. the browning can be control by putting a cover to the top to avoid extensive browning.

to suit you green tea swiss roll, there are many option that you can take for the filling:

Vanilla Cream:

Chocolate Cream:
    Whipping cream 200g
    Granulated Sugar 25g
    Vanilla essence 1/2tsp
    Rum 1/4tsp
    Chocolate cocoa powder 20g

I prefer green tea flavoured cream as it will enhance the taste of the swiss roll. Chocolat cream can be exciting. If you are adventurous, try replacing whipping cream with flavoured
    custard cream.

Kelly: Plain cheesecake goes very well with any sauce such as from chocolate to fruity sauces. As for green tea, maybe melted thick cream sauce(clog cream) or vanilla custard sauce maybe the trick.

tigerfish: I got a feedback that our baked matcha cheesecake was light, full flavour, smooth and goes very well with a cup of warm japanese or jasmine tea. The kids like it and they were hunting for the red bean which was embedded to the base of the cake.

• Lee Ping
    July 22, 2007 - 12:11 am | Permalink

Thanks! I wonder if I can put a little red bean in your suggested green tea cream recipe?

• Big Boys Oven
    July 22, 2007 - 1:14 am | Permalink

lee ping:
    yes you can put little red bean or kidney bean from the can into the cream and then roll the cake. but make sure that the red bean is not in paste form.

• Lyrical Lemongrass
    July 22, 2007 - 2:09 am | Permalink

that is so pretty! love the simple little flowers. :-)

• Nora B.
    July 22, 2007 - 4:36 am | Permalink

The cheesecake looks great. Do I see some red bean paste on the base of the cake? That’s genius! I wish I can have a slice (or two) now….

• "Joe" who is constantly craving
    July 22, 2007 - 5:41 pm | Permalink

that looks so good..can almost taste it in my mouth..but i dont taste anything..darn..dreaming again..

• Jackson
    July 22, 2007 - 7:20 pm | Permalink

u r a great artist!!! I love the simple design of the cake so much!

• East Meets West Kitchen
    July 22, 2007 - 7:48 pm | Permalink

Love the looks of your matcha cheesecake!

• wmw
    July 22, 2007 - 10:52 pm | Permalink

For me, Matcha is a must ah! :o) Love the cake and the cute “flowers”.

• MeiyeN
    July 22, 2007 - 11:38 pm | Permalink

wow.. a very nice green tea cheesecake!

• Lee Ping
    July 23, 2007 - 4:07 pm | Permalink

My red bean is not in paste form. Thanks for the tips.

• dx-blogger
    July 24, 2007 - 12:25 am | Permalink

Hi,

You have great blog. Would you mind to have a link exchange with me.

Please email me if you are interested.

my email : kamarul[at]hoteltravel[dot]com

I’d like to exchange your link with our company website.

Thanks.

Note: You can delete this comment.

• SteamyKitchen
    July 24, 2007 - 1:46 pm | Permalink

You guys need to get into fashion design…b/c I WOULD WEAR THAT CHEESECAKE!!!!

• Oh for the love of food!
    July 25, 2007 - 8:57 am | Permalink

What a pretty cake, guys! I love the Matcha and red bean combination.

• WokandSpoon
    August 1, 2007 - 12:35 am | Permalink

Matcha cheesecake!! wow! I’m really impressed!

• tankiasu
    August 2, 2007 - 12:25 am | Permalink

Howdy, first time visiting your blog here. So this is how the green tea cake looks like originally. 😛

Anyway, nice meeting you last nite and thanks for setting it up. :) Seeya!

• teckiee
    August 2, 2007 - 6:26 pm | Permalink

This is the cheese cake post right? hehehe I got confused. You have so many links la.. I was looking for this actually http://www.bigboyscakes.blogspot.com/

• Kevin
    August 16, 2007 - 7:10 pm | Permalink

This looks great. Green tea is one of my favorite flavours and I have been meaning to do a green tea cheese cake for a while now.