The White Mountain of French Alp Mountain(Mont Blanc)

What rings in my head with the word Mont Blanc , that would be the well craftsmanship of writing instruments, well designed and hand crafted just as what I do with my cakes. But in Japan, you can find almost virtually some sort of stuff called Mont Blanc in most of the cake shop. Getting a well crafted pen in a japanese cake shop?

Well, it is not a writing instrument but it is rather a well designed and crafted dessert. Mont blanc is a dessert made of meringue, whipped cream, and chestnut cream whose name seems to come from its resemblance in appearance, apparently, to the French Alp moutain Mont Blanc. This chestnut dessert has a huge popularity in Japan. You will come across varieties of Mont Blanc being presented by different patissiers such a few names, chef Jun Honma(Chez Cima), chef Yoshiwa Takasugi(Mikage Takasugi), chef Shinji Ebisawa(Les Entremets de Kunitachi), chef Yasuhiro Suzukia(Noel) and many more. I also came across such lovely dessert at Le Cordon Bleu and also with chefs Anita & Sanny(Jam Bakery).

So I decided to explore a simple version of Mont Blanc. My version of Mont Blanc would consists of tart shell, instant custard, chestnut mousse and cooked whole chestnut. It is simple to make as you can prepare the tart shell a day advance and the rest will only take a while. The only problem with this recipe, you need to pre-order the chestnut puree in advance from the ingredient shop as there are not stockable. You will only see them stock up in supermarket such like cold storage during pre-christmas.

I have seen chestnut cake at a cake shop at Sri Hartamas Shopping Complex and a different version of Mont Blanc at at small cake shop in the old wing of Bangsar Village.

This Mont Blanc may look cute, petti and light but it can be heavy after consuming. My salute to Mont Blanc. Hope you will explore this lovely Mont Blanc soon.

Luv Sunny Yaw

• tigerfish
    June 7, 2007 - 8:49 am | Permalink

How come the chestnut mousse looks so much like soba (buckwheat) noodles? 😀

• Big Boys Oven
    June 7, 2007 - 8:51 am | Permalink

you are rite, but i defintely tell you they don’t taste the same! : ) I like your soba!!!

• Michelle
    June 7, 2007 - 10:10 am | Permalink

LOL. soba.. indeed lookalike.. from far look like a bowl of soba for sure.. hehehe..
    hmm.. eating the whole ‘soba’ topping.. will feel “jelak’ a not??
    =P just asking.. not a big fan of thick cream..

p/s: i like the last pic. =)

• wmw
    June 7, 2007 - 11:40 am | Permalink

It does look like soba! Ha ha…looks interesting but have not tasted a Mont Blanc before.

• Precious Pea
    June 7, 2007 - 5:46 pm | Permalink

Very interesting indeed. I only tasted chestnut cake once in Melbourne from a bakery runs by HongKie couple. Very nice but couldn’t find it here.

• "Joe" who is constantly craving
    June 7, 2007 - 7:12 pm | Permalink

whats wif all these talented bakers around creating food blogs for their culinary skills and creations!! im so jealous hahaha..and makes me crave for more sweets only..

• sc
    June 7, 2007 - 10:21 pm | Permalink

hi! thanks for popping by :). wow, would really love to try mont blanc since i’m a big fan of chestnuts..must’ve tasted divine

• fatboybakes
    June 7, 2007 - 10:24 pm | Permalink

hi sunny, what a fascinating blog. the montblancs look divine. hey, you can get canned chestnut puree in village grocer, bangsar village, about RM12 per can. dunno if its the same la though.

• Jackson
    June 7, 2007 - 10:49 pm | Permalink

hey brother! Well done on yr blog! I haven’t try any mont blanc but i dun mind if u willing to get me one…hehe..

• Big Boys Oven
    June 7, 2007 - 11:20 pm | Permalink

wmw: I think Opera at bangsar Village sells them.

precious pea: Ask me mah!

“joe”: Why not start now, sure you will love it.

sc: I am also a big fan of chestnut, especially those fresh roasted ones.

fatboybakes: I bought my first can at village grocer but they run out of stock, I got my new one from bake with yen, specially ordered.

jackson: Sure no problem, soon ok.

• Lyrical Lemongrass
    June 8, 2007 - 12:43 am | Permalink

gosh it’s a sight to behold. Have never tried a mont blanc before, but if it’s as exquisite as the pen, I think it’d be great.

• MeiyeN
    June 8, 2007 - 8:37 pm | Permalink

did you mean da one @ opera? i tried before…..it was a roll cake and find it really nice! loved it very much… 😀

• Melting Wok
    June 8, 2007 - 11:22 pm | Permalink

hey there, first time to your blog, my teeth is sinking into all these delicious pasties and cakes :)
    Wow, I only knew how to use chestnuts in my sticky rice, will have to try it in pastries like this. Thx !:) Btw, for your soba looking cream thing hehe..you prolly got lazy and just use the ketchup bottle instead of the nice fluted piping thing eh ? *wink*:)

• Oh for the love of food!
    June 9, 2007 - 6:37 pm | Permalink

Hi Guys, Cool Creation! I have never tasted chestnut cream before although they are accessible all year round here. Send a couple down under, won’t you? HA!HA!

• WokandSpoon
    June 10, 2007 - 7:05 am | Permalink

Hiya. Thx for dropping by my blog. I have to say, your desert looks a little like “chesnut mousse spagetti”! hehe! Super cute!

• Jackson
    June 10, 2007 - 7:07 am | Permalink

how soon is soon??

• Big Boys Oven
    June 10, 2007 - 9:56 am | Permalink

lyrical lemongrass: if you google image on mont blanc, you will be able to see the many variety version of them. Amazing!

meiyen: yeah the Opera cake shop at bangsar village. I think they have the japanese sweet potatoe mont blanc

melting wok: that thingy about ketchup bottle did come into my mind. maybe I will use it when I bake a bigger tartlet, that will be useful.

of for the love of food: hi Carol, definitely will bring some for you when I get to Perth.

wokandspoon: I imagine them looking like a turkish ballerina, keep spinning.

jackson: please give sometime to get my collection first, I am sure it is worth waiting for!!

• MeiyeN
    June 10, 2007 - 6:13 pm | Permalink

jap sweet potato mont blanc huh… not too sure about it but then it’s stated at chestnut roll if i am not mistaken and i loved it lots 😀 well of course, i would like to try your version too! 😀

• Precious Pea
    June 10, 2007 - 7:27 pm | Permalink

Ok, I officially ask you now..so when can taste the Mont Blanc???

• Big Boys Oven
    June 11, 2007 - 1:42 am | Permalink

meiyen: real soon, hope you can be a bit patient.

precious pea: soon once I get my collection ready.

• boo_licious
    June 11, 2007 - 2:50 am | Permalink

Mont blancs are a must with the Japanese. Heard that it’s super sweet but yet to try any.

• Honey Star
    June 12, 2007 - 9:22 pm | Permalink

mmmmmmm……..yummy yummy cake. Now U got me craving for some Mont Blanc cake (and I got no idea how it taste like)

• SteamyKitchen
    June 13, 2007 - 9:48 pm | Permalink

I LOVE chestnut cake!! When I first saw the pic I immediately knew it was chestnut.
    now craving a piece….

• Big Boys Oven
    June 14, 2007 - 10:57 am | Permalink

boo_licious: too sweet also no good.

honey star: taste nuttie and gorgeous

steamy kitchen: How do they present chestnut at your place?

• MilliMe
    January 23, 2008 - 5:36 pm | Permalink

hi, how did you make the puree noodle like?
    because I just use the star tips because I don’t know how to make it noodles like.
    can you give me some advice?