Cerise (Pistachio Tartlet with Rasberry Mousse)

Over the long weekend I was going through a japanese cake book published by Super Chef Book entitled Patissiers. It was a collection of work by seven most famous cake chefs in Japan such as, Takagi Yasumasa, Yamamoto Koji, Horie Shin, Sato Hitoshi, Nakagawa Jiro, Sakurai Syuichi and Terai Norihiko.

Somehow the work of Takagi Yasumasa had caught my eye, a very famous chef who did an Iron Chef challenge with Iron Chef Kobe on strawberry. Takagi Yasumasa also runs de Le Patissier Takagi. You can find many well designed mini cakes by Takagi Yasumasa.

So without losing anytime, I embarked on trying out Takagi Yasumasa’s Cerise. Cerise is a pistachio cherries tartlet top with rasberry mousse. As for my Cerise, I replaced the cherries with strawberry. It was a real masterpiece, the pistachio tarltet tasted crunchy and you can smell the aroma of the toasted green pistachio. As you spoon the mousse, you will be able to taste the refreshness and juicyness of the rasberry. The rasberry mousse infused into the pistachio tartlet gorgeously and both compliment each other very well. Takagi Yasumasa is a real true art of patissier himself.

Since from this discovering of such master patissiers, I promise you that I will explore more of their creation and will share the experience with you.

With luv, Sunny Yaw

• Lee Ping
    June 10, 2007 - 2:58 pm | Permalink

Good job on the Raspberry Mousse. I haven’t master the art of making mousse yet. Perhaps you can share a few basic tips to making smooth mousse.

• boo_licious
    June 11, 2007 - 2:49 am | Permalink

How do I get those Japanese books in English? I see them so often but they’re all in Japanese or Mandarin.

• Paprika
    June 11, 2007 - 3:33 am | Permalink

These look lovely. Anytime you need a guinea pig, do let me know!

• jason
    June 11, 2007 - 6:31 am | Permalink

Haven’t really tried mousse… wonder how it tastes like

• Big Boys Kitchen
    June 11, 2007 - 7:29 am | Permalink

lee ping: for this rasberry mousse, whisk egg white together with fine sugar plus rasberry puree and rasberry syrup.

boo_licious: you are right, mostly are in japanese and translated into mandarin. The english version that you can try Pierre Herme’s baking book.

paprika: defintely noted!

jason: It taste great. I also Ipoh mali.

• Cutie
    June 11, 2007 - 8:15 am | Permalink

Oh, they look delicious. You are really talented. Wish I could bake as well as you. If there is a chance, you have to teach me. hehe…

• Big Boys Kitchen
    June 11, 2007 - 5:13 pm | Permalink

Just a suggestion, I would not mind if someone organise a potluck and I will bring some of my stuff for testing. hehehe

• Lee Ping
    June 11, 2007 - 5:16 pm | Permalink

Big Boys Oven, thanks for copying your reply on my blog. Your mousse is such a healthy dessert because it uses egg white instead of whipping cream. And its color and shape totally seduces the person eating it into believing it is made out of whipping cream.

• East Meets West Kitchen
    June 11, 2007 - 9:46 pm | Permalink

Hopped over from Lee Ping’s blog, and love your bakes! Now I’ll have to try making cerise too!:)

• boo_licious
    June 11, 2007 - 10:49 pm | Permalink

Sigh! I wish I could read Mandarin. I have the Pierre Herme ones already but wanted the Japanese creations as they look so interesting.

• Big Boys Kitchen
    June 12, 2007 - 1:16 am | Permalink

east meet west kitchen: Cool! do let me know about your findings.

boo_licious: Get the chinese version, japanese books very expensive (pok kai myself) and get someone to translate for you.

• "Joe" who is constantly craving
    June 12, 2007 - 2:29 am | Permalink

haha potluck..of course!..i can offer my tasting services..man if only i can smell and taste through the screen..hmmm

• boo_licious
    June 12, 2007 - 6:15 am | Permalink

Yeah, I must look for a reasonable chinese to english translator. You know anyone? I love the Japanese ones too but my Japanese friend won’t have the time to translate it for me.

• FireHorse
    June 12, 2007 - 3:04 pm | Permalink

Ello Kopi Soh here, thank you for visiting mai humble kopitiam. Why you make old lady like me run around first I go to kitchen – kitchen tadak orang, then I go look at anarder place oso tadak orang, mana tau oven oni got ppl inside. Hmmm mai kind of place – got food 😛

• teckiee
    June 13, 2007 - 5:36 am | Permalink

hooo this is nice… how thick is the mousse? the berry still stays on top.. most i see sinks

• wmw
    June 13, 2007 - 11:23 am | Permalink

Another lovely creation….(still cleaning up my place…now at a more frantic pace!)

• tigerfish
    June 13, 2007 - 2:22 pm | Permalink

Wooo…another piece of art! I like that tint of purplish-pink of the mousse. Nice :)

• Big Boys Oven
    June 14, 2007 - 11:08 am | Permalink

joe: be patient

boo_licious: not many ppl like to do translation, will try and let u know.

firehouse: re you feeling better after a long marathon? sorry.

Teckiee: mousse is thick and stiff

wmw: Your place must be shinning by now

tigerfish: it is the colour of rasberry and mix with milk.

• Melting Wok
    June 16, 2007 - 12:14 am | Permalink

hmm..raspberry mousse, so light and fluffy :) Great alternative instead of all regular rich chocolaty mousse, yums !:) Someday, I’ll find courage to make them..muahahaha 😛